challenge/adversity topics: too personal vs. boring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curious_premed

Reaction score
I'm wrestling right now with writing the challenge/adversity secondary essay. I have overcome major challenges in my life but I know I'm not supposed to discuss mental illness at all.... ? I have other options but they just seem insignificant or not genuine or like I've never experienced anything really hard. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What would be your approach to discussing the relationship? Those can be difficult because it's essentially something you willingly undertake and maintain. That can be tough to frame as adversity

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be your approach to discussing the relationship? Those can be difficult because it's essentially something you willingly undertake and maintain. That can be tough to frame as adversity
I would disagree. Emotional willingness to enter a relationship does not it any way imply willingness or knowing it will become abusive. Nor does it show it was a rational decision. Indeed, abusiveness is a emotional and psychological state by victim that takes much to realize, to accept, to fight, and to recover. . It is a huge hurdle, an extreme challenge, and, most importantly, something that many of your potential future patients may suffer from and having lived thru it, may make someone a much more compassionate provider because of it.

The risk here is anything you discuss in secondary is fair game for interview

Reactions: 4 users
When talking about emotionally-charged topics like this, my general advice is to just state the facts and let the readers make their own conclusion. You never want the readers to feel like they are being emotionally manipulated, and I find that staying factual (as much as possible) minimizes this risk without being any less powerful.

I also agree with @gonnif that no one sees those in abusive relationships as being willing participants.

With regards to mental health, there still unfortunately remains significant stigma against it (in part due to our cognitive biases from seeing medical students crash and burn due to uncontrolled depression, etc). However, things are slowly changing and it's no longer the death knell that it used to be. I have seen some very powerful and compelling essays written on this topic that reflected very positively on applicants. Of course, for every essay that helped, there were many more that hurt, but usually due to the way it was portrayed.

If mental health is mentioned in an application, adcoms need to be reassured that it won't become uncontrolled again during medical school, residency or beyond.. usually through demonstration of sustained periods of wellness despite recurrent adversity and stress.

Depending on your own experiences and comfort level, it might make sense to discuss one or both of these experiences. However, if you do write about it, be prepared to talk about it during interviews as it will almost certainly be asked about. If you do end up deciding to mention mental health, feel free to send me a DM and I'll be happy to read over it to see if it's cringe-worthy or not. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I would disagree. Emotional willingness to enter a relationship does not it any way imply willingness or knowing it will become abusive. Nor does it show it was a rational decision. Indeed, abusiveness is a emotional and psychological state by victim that takes much to realize, to accept, to fight, and to recover. . It is a huge hurdle, an extreme challenge, and, most importantly, something that many of your potential future patients may suffer from and having lived thru it, may make someone a much more compassionate provider because of it.

The risk here is anything you discuss in secondary is fair game for interview
Oh, that's not what I meant to suggest. I was merely under the impression that the adversity they want is supposed to be something you have no control over. Like being diagnosed with a debilitating disease or something. I figured a relationship wouldn't exactly fit because starting a relationship is a choice. I don't mean to imply that those in abusive relationships are bringing it upon themselves or choosing to be abused - I don't believe that.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, that's not what I meant to suggest. I was merely under the impression that the adversity they want is supposed to be something you have no control over. Like being diagnosed with a debilitating disease or something. I figured a relationship wouldn't exactly fit because starting a relationship is a choice. I don't mean to imply that those in abusive relationships are bringing it upon themselves or choosing to be abused - I don't believe that.
Thats a ridiculous interpretation. You can write about any challenge or adversity, whether out of your control or intentionally taken on. I have students write about long distance hiking, climbing, learning a new skill, taking on a difficult role or job, joining the peace corp, trying to learn a new language, etc.

Even more so, being in an abusive relationship is not a rational choice

Last edited:
When talking about emotionally-charged topics like this, my general advice is to just state the facts and let the readers make their own conclusion. You never want the readers to feel like they are being emotionally manipulated, and I find that staying factual (as much as possible) minimizes this risk without being any less powerful.

I also agree with @gonnif that no one sees those in abusive relationships as being willing participants.

With regards to mental health, there still unfortunately remains significant stigma against it (in part due to our cognitive biases from seeing medical students crash and burn due to uncontrolled depression, etc). However, things are slowly changing and it's no longer the death knell that it used to be. I have seen some very powerful and compelling essays written on this topic that reflected very positively on applicants. Of course, for every essay that helped, there were many more that hurt, but usually due to the way it was portrayed.

If mental health is mentioned in an application, adcoms need to be reassured that it won't become uncontrolled again during medical school, residency or beyond.. usually through demonstration of sustained periods of wellness despite recurrent adversity and stress.

Depending on your own experiences and comfort level, it might make sense to discuss one or both of these experiences. However, if you do write about it, be prepared to talk about it during interviews as it will almost certainly be asked about. If you do end up deciding to mention mental health, feel free to send me a DM and I'll be happy to read over it to see if it's cringe-worthy or not. Best of luck to you.
To follow up on my wise colleague's words, long stretches of academic excellence allay Adcom's fears over mental health issues.

Maybe I'm thinking more like "disadvantaged" because you're right, that does sound off.

We're in agreement about the relationships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.