Challenge Essay thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For context, my app centers around being trans and wanting to serve that population and most anecdotes were related to MMEs (which focus on LGBTQIA+ crisis line, being an instructor for a queer special program cohort, and an unrelated clinical experience). Should I use different experiences? Here are some that (except #2) focus outside of that background.

Here's a few thoughts I've considered:
1. Expand on OIE involving my sister's mental illness and the fallout of it. She had untreated BPD from when I was 13-17 when I moved out. We had the cops at our house almost everyday during manic periods because she would try to hurt someone in a serious way (like throwing knives kinda ****). Obviously this really affected my mental health and general stability. After she got on meds and grew a lot, I still wanted nothing to do with her as a young adult even though I'd realized it wasn't really fair to judge her straightforwardly from her past actions. My growth / lesson from this was learning how to not judge so harshly and to forgive over time.
2. My PS mentioned my trans status, but I could expand on transitioning during grad school; I had to learn a whole new hidden curriculum alongside my coursework.
3. I live with my fiance in a very rural area in the South. I am straight passing but he is very queer-presenting. We've had plenty of rude looks and comments but we've also been spat at and had someone cause a scene/threaten when they saw us holding hands. It's helped me to grow a very thick skin but also grow to find strength in our rural community because other people have always defended us. (Thinking about using this framed different for diversity essay too, I would prefer to stay rural)
4. Being thrown into a leadership role I didn't feel prepared for and having to learn and become responsible for a lot very quickly. I started off by majorly angering half the department but was able to rebound and turn it around. By the time that the project was done, I was being rated in the top x leads at the company.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the prompts?

Nothing wrong to expand what you previously wrote.
1. Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge?
2. Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process.
3. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience.
4. Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.