Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Challenge/Refresh EMT-Basic

Discussion in 'Pre-Hospital [ EMS ]' started by fledgelingemt, Dec 19, 2005.

1. fledgelingemt

fledgelingemt New Member

I just finished an EMT-Basic course in Canada and am currently in New York. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my state certificate since I wasn't ever issued a number and the course wasn't state-approved, but we used the Brady textbook and went well beyond the standard curriculum. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about challenging a state/national registry without a state EMT certificate or if I can take a refresher course and pay my dues that way.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. carn311

carn311 Dead tired.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As far as I know anyone can sit for the refresher. I would get in touch with your county EMS organization that is sponsering the refresher. This may be a regional not a state requirement.

4. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I bet youre going to have to re-take the test (both written and practical). Thats what I had to do, transferring my licence from MA to CT-- I imagine it'd be the same switching it from out of country.

OEMSs (office of emergency medical services) are notoriously slow, just be patient and keep bugging them-- I'm sure you'll find a way to make it happen.