Challenge/Refresh EMT-Basic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fledgelingemt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished an EMT-Basic course in Canada and am currently in New York. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my state certificate since I wasn't ever issued a number and the course wasn't state-approved, but we used the Brady textbook and went well beyond the standard curriculum. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about challenging a state/national registry without a state EMT certificate or if I can take a refresher course and pay my dues that way.

Members don't see this ad.

fledgelingemt said:
I just finished an EMT-Basic course in Canada and am currently in New York. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my state certificate since I wasn't ever issued a number and the course wasn't state-approved, but we used the Brady textbook and went well beyond the standard curriculum. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about challenging a state/national registry without a state EMT certificate or if I can take a refresher course and pay my dues that way.
As far as I know anyone can sit for the refresher. I would get in touch with your county EMS organization that is sponsering the refresher. This may be a regional not a state requirement.

I bet youre going to have to re-take the test (both written and practical). Thats what I had to do, transferring my licence from MA to CT-- I imagine it'd be the same switching it from out of country.

OEMSs (office of emergency medical services) are notoriously slow, just be patient and keep bugging them-- I'm sure you'll find a way to make it happen.