Challenge Secondary...Appropriate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtles43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes I don't see why not. Just make sure you find a way to show how you overcame this and how this has had a positive impact on you.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything can be 'spun' to reflect negatively on you if someone is so inclined... (Sadly, this is especially common for young women.) So you'll need to tread carefully, but I think it can be done.

You'll want to show personal growth, independence (but not callousness), commitment to your career (but not selfishness), and that breaking up was the right decision without implying that dating him showed poor judgement. See the tightrope?

You're welcome to PM me if you'd like a [brutally frank but not deliberately unkind] review on your draft.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Perfectly fine.

So I am pre-writing my secondaries, and I was wondering if what I had is appropriate for "challenges-faced" secondaries.

I was dating the same guy from 9th grade until last year (mushy gushy high school sweethearts) so a total of 8 years. We were engaged to be married with a dog, building a house, etc. It turned out that he was extremely unsupportive of my dream to go to med school, along with being overly possessive, jealous, and controlling. After a year of trying to work it out, I ended up breaking things off. Ended the engagement, he got our dog, he got the house, blah blah. This has been the single most difficult thing I have ever experienced.

My question is do you think this may be inappropriate to write about in my secondaries? Is there a way that this could reflect negatively on me?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
So I am pre-writing my secondaries, and I was wondering if what I had is appropriate for "challenges-faced" secondaries.

I was dating the same guy from 9th grade until last year (mushy gushy high school sweethearts) so a total of 8 years. We were engaged to be married with a dog, building a house, etc. It turned out that he was extremely unsupportive of my dream to go to med school, along with being overly possessive, jealous, and controlling. After a year of trying to work it out, I ended up breaking things off. Ended the engagement, he got our dog, he got the house, blah blah. This has been the single most difficult thing I have ever experienced.

My question is do you think this may be inappropriate to write about in my secondaries? Is there a way that this could reflect negatively on me?

Thanks!
Why did you decide to marry a dog??

All jokes aside. It all depends on how you present stuff. Make it an adult and honest conversation about what you learned about yourself, others, the world, life and why it's important.

Reactions: 1 user