Chance for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul3788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a bit worried about my GPA for MD schools. However, will my stats boost my chance into a MD school- and specifically would it be either high, medium, or low tier MD schools? Here are my stats:

Overall/Sci. GPA=

ECs:
Freshman/Sophomore Honors selective Honor's Fraternity
Selective Honor's program for my school (includes coursework not required by regular majors)
Chemistry TA
Chemistry Tutor
Service Club Fraternity- Volunteer with homeless shelters, food drives, blood drives, nursing homes etc.
Intramural Sports- But I doubt people care about this.

Hospital Exp/Work Exp:
Intern at a research institution (45 hours a week for 3 months includes lots of shadowing and clinical experience= total 400 hours in hospital setting)
One Journal Publication
Clerical Hospice (40 hours)
Work for Grocery Store (Doubt people care about this)

MCAT=
12,12,12=36 Score

I know my GPA isn't up to par- but thats because of some....bad choices in classes. Should I retake my MCAT? Should I perhaps get more hospital experience? Like say do 4 hours every week for the next school year for a total of 100+ more hours in hospital? Am I competitve enough for the top tier, medium, lower? (A little deviation from the topic- Don't you hate classes that don't curve and basically test you on an entire book but just pick 50 very picky questions- that if you miss 5 or more- they put you out of the A range? God that pisses me off. I do better in harder curved classes. ok enough of that)

Thanks alot for the answers guys- This will settle my nerves.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a bit worried about my GPA for MD schools. However, will my stats boost my chance into a MD school- and specifically would it be either high, medium, or low tier MD schools? Here are my stats:

Overall/Sci. GPA=

ECs:
Selective Honor's program for my school (includes coursework not required by regular majors)
Chemistry TA
Chemistry Tutor
Service Club Fraternity- Volunteer with homeless shelters, food drives, blood drives, nursing homes etc.

Hospital Exp/Work Exp:
Intern at a research institution (45 hours a week for 3 months includes lots of shadowing and clinical experience= total 400 hours in hospital setting)
One Journal Publication

MCAT=
12,12,12=36 Score

I know my GPA isn't up to par- but thats because of some....bad choices in classes. Should I retake my MCAT? Should I perhaps get more hospital experience? Like say do 4 hours every week for the next school year for a total of 100+ more hours in hospital? Am I competitve enough for the top tier, medium, lower? (A little deviation from the topic- Don't you hate classes that don't curve and basically test you on an entire book but just pick 50 very picky questions- that if you miss 5 or more- they put you out of the A range? God that pisses me off. I do better in harder curved classes. ok enough of that)

Based on your stats and EC's, you can essentially get into any medical school in America. BUT you have the best chance at getting into the middle tiered schools. Your MCAT score may also turn a few heads at some of the higher tiered schools, but I would not count on that getting you any more than an interview. Hope this helps.

Overall/Sci. GPA=

ECs:
Chemistry TA
Chemistry Tutor

Hospital Exp/Work Exp:
One Journal Publication

MCAT=
12,12,12=36 Score

MAN, if I had your GPA and MCAT I wouldn't be sweating at all....

you pre-meds trip out too much, go out and enjoy yourself. You're in college, the best years of your life are soon to be gone....

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had your stats, I'd apply broadly. You have competitive stats that give you a fighting chance at some of the top tier schools.

Should I perhaps get more hospital experience? Like say do 4 hours every week for the next school year for a total of 100+ more hours in hospital?
I don't think you need more hospital hours to strengthen your application. Do it if you want the actual experience.

(A little deviation from the topic- Don't you hate classes that don't curve and basically test you on an entire book but just pick 50 very picky questions- that if you miss 5 or more- they put you out of the A range? God that pisses me off. I do better in harder curved classes. ok enough of that)
You just described my physiology class. I've never worked so hard for an A in my life.

You probably won't get in to the top of the top-tier, but you should still pick 5-10 upper level schools to apply to. Einstein, Sinai and NYU maybe within reach. Also consider: Pitt, Case, Emory, Pritzker,, Yale, Feinberg and Stanford. Don't hold your breath in this range, but it's still worth applying.

Your success in the middle tier should be great. Jefferson Medical College (PA) is one of the standouts of this group as their Residencies/Fellowships are very good. MC Wisconsin is also quite good. Look into: Jefferson, MCW, Georgetown, George Washington.

Don't retake the MCAT as your scores are high enough that your odds of going down maybe higher than your odds of going up (and the marginal value of an extra point or two may not be that high anyway).

You're fine; make sure you apply to Jeff. Good luck!