You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
DO CHANCE ME 3.03 gpa and mcat..
Started by chang12
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No sense in speculating without a real MCAT. But a 24 is low and your GPA is low. Despite what some people say DO is getting harder to get an acceptance every year. With your GPA I'd think you would need 28-30 on the MCAT . You really shouldn't take the test until you are hitting your goal pretty consistently. Lots of people score lower than what they were getting on practice tests. Good luck on the MCAT.
Chances are slim, and rightfully so. Low gpa + low MCAT is a recipe for failing out of med school, and being stuck with tons of non-dischargeable student debt.
Have you considered other careers?
Have you considered other careers?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a cumulative of 3.03
I am taking my mcat for the first time in January and have been recently getting around 24. I am trying to push it between 25-30
Based on this what are my chances at getting into a DO school?
Guessing you are an ORM... odds are very slim at this point
Take at least a year to do grade replacements by retaking your Cs/Ds/Fs and take upper level sciences.
Maybe take an MCAT class or get a tutor if that's within our budget. Study your arse off. A 500 (24) on the MCAT does not bode well for you when you take the Step Exams even if you do get into a med school.
Poor.
I have a cumulative of 3.03
I am taking my mcat for the first time in January and have been recently getting around 24. I am trying to push it between 25-30
Based on this what are my chances at getting into a DO school?
Are you still getting 24s on your practice tests? It sounds like you really aren't ready to take the test yet. Your GPA is really low. Maybe you should work on that too. You really aren't in a good place to apply. It's much harder than you think to "push my MCAT to 27-30".
OP you're studying for the new MCAT, right? That's scored on a 472-528 scale, anything on the 3-45 is old stuff. Just thought I'd ask since you keep saying you're shooting for old MCAT scores.
Yes of course I am.
I only say the old score because that's what ppl are most familiar with
But hypothetically if I can raise my mcat score to 27-30, (507-512) how does that affect my chances?
I'm just a n=1; but I have a 3.3/30 and applied only DO's and only had 1 II and a bunch of pre-II holds (bit of everything for EC's and a DO LOR). It's crazy how competitive it is getting every year, and I think the days of 3.0/30 and being safe somewhere have already passed to be honest (a ton of DO schools are going to be 3.5/~29 this year as their average I feel).
I wouldn't say you have no chance with a 27-30 if you have a compelling story or EC's, but I wouldn't apply the cycle with the mindset that you're going to be a shoo in with a 3.0/27-30. I'd say like a 25% chance (what do I know tbh)? Work on retaking low grades to get that GPA up and focusing on your areas of weakness for the MCAT (I'd stop reviewing material you already know, focus on specific sub-sections you are struggling in)
I'm just a n=1; but I have a 3.3/30 and applied only DO's and only had 1 II and a bunch of pre-II holds (bit of everything for EC's and a DO LOR). It's crazy how competitive it is getting every year, and I think the days of 3.0/30 and being safe somewhere have already passed to be honest (a ton of DO schools are going to be 3.5/~29 this year as their average I feel).
I wouldn't say you have no chance with a 27-30 if you have a compelling story or EC's, but I wouldn't apply the cycle with the mindset that you're going to be a shoo in with a 3.0/27-30. I'd say like a 25% chance (what do I know tbh)? Work on retaking low grades to get that GPA up and focusing on your areas of weakness for the MCAT (I'd stop reviewing material you already know, focus on specific sub-sections you are struggling in)
Very helpful.
I was never in the mindset that I was going to be a shoe in...more like please let me into your school...
How many schools did you apply to? And how was your course load?
Also for everyone: "if I retake classes at a community college, will they automatically replace my grades from my university???
Very helpful.
I was never in the mindset that I was going to be a shoe in...more like please let me into your school...
How many schools did you apply to? And how was your course load?
Also for everyone: "if I retake classes at a community college, will they automatically replace my grades from my university???
-12 but they were by big cities and I was below average for GPA for almost all of them.
-Course load was a bunch of science classes that I mostly got B's in? Had viro, immuno, histo, anat, phys, genetics, cell, micro, neuro, and some other ones in addition to year of gen bio
-You should be okay with retaking at CC's (units should be equal to or more than the original); idk what you mean by automatic you have to indicate which classes you retook on your application
Hopes and dreams don't get you a better MCAT...and hopes and dreams don't get you into med school with poor scores. You're not ready. Retake the classes you performed poorly in...then study your butt off for the MCAT with the expectation to get a 27-29 (or whatever the heck the equivalent is now days). The higher your GPA, the more leeway you will have on your MCAT...but it will still need to be a solid MCAT score.
Good luck.
Good luck.
I have a cumulative of 3.03
I am taking my mcat for the first time in January and have been recently getting around 24. I am trying to push it between 25-30
Based on this what are my chances at getting into a DO school?
I agree with all the above. You need to boost your academic stats badly (you wouldn't even get a secondary application from KCU because of the autoscreen). I would say take more couse work and take some time to retake the MCAT.
What are your ECs like btw?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 991