This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamlostinlife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would add Marquette. The tuition is much more affordable than many of the others on your list. Although only 2 international students matriculated in 2018, I think your stats give you a pretty good shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do international students get any financial help? Those are some awfully expensive dental schools you're applying to, I have some schools I would suggest removing, but they make up the majority of your list.
This hurts a lot as most international students aren't able to qualify for the government loan programs that many will need starting out

Reactions: 1 user
We can get loans (although not enough to pay for all expenses, but better than nothing for sure), but not from the States unless we have a co-signer. I will definitely choose to go to a cheaper school if I had a choice, but as an international applicant, chances are pretty slim for us to get into cheap schools.
Understood. As a US citizen, chances for us to get into cheap schools is slim too, so I feel your pain. Your GPA is great, your DAT is insane and you have solid ECs. So you have a better chance of getting into a cheaper program.

If you must apply to those ridiculously priced schools, my best advice would be to really do some number crunching and figure out the loans you qualify for and the interest rates to fully understand the debt load and the implications of that on your life look at the starting salaries of associates in the states ($90-$120k pre tax 5 day/wk) and carefully chose how much you're going to spend on school. $400k+ USD for dental school and not being able to utilize REPAYE or PAYE will be tough. Not sure what your interest rates will be, but ours are around 7-8% for federal loans, meaning that you will be spending roughly $5k a month on just debt repayment for a 10 year plan

canadian banks are actually very kind to us
i got 250k at 3% when i was in school
i just looked it up now you can get 350k at 3.75

That's awesome! Thank you tons for the info HeyEjo!

Thank you Cthuluhoop for the encouragement! Prepping for the application to states dental schools as an international student, I was always worried that my GPA and ECs weren't good enough. Thank you also for the insight on the heavy dept load I will be in once I graduate (or even as a student). Which cheaper schools do you think I would have chance? Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and and Michigan were the schools I thought I might be considered competitive.
Those are killer interest rates @HeyEjo, way better than what is offered to us U.S citizens, so you're in even better shape! At 3.75% you'll be alright, it'll still be a pricey monthly payment, but a lot less than 8%+ that is offered to us. Still go to the cheapest school you can, because Pittsburgh and other OOS schools will run you at least $425k for the most part, so I'm not sure how you fund anything over $350k or what the interest rates are for anything over that, but something to look into

Pittsburgh, Michigan and Marquette like @wwdentist would be your best bet for cheaper schools for sure. Unfortunately with how schools gouge us students these days for tuition, there really aren't any schools for out of state or international students to get in and have $250k or under in debt which is the upper limit for dentistry before it begins to get tough. U Penn offers a decent amount of scholarships too, unsure of how they apply to Canadian students, but I would be surprised if they don't, so that would be another decent option if you do get a scholarship

Reactions: 1 user