Seeking Advice on Dental School Admission Chances and Future Plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alighazi

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I have some concerns about my chances of getting into dental school and would appreciate your insights and advice. Here's my situation:

I currently have a 3.0 GPA, which I know is not particularly competitive for dental school admissions. However, I'm planning to take the DAT (Dental Admission Test) and apply to dental schools, submitting my application in late August. I have also accumulated over 100 hours of shadowing experience in multiple dental clinics. I also have other extracurriculars to highlight in my resume with good letters of recommendation from professors in my core classes, major (Physiology), and a dentist.

On the other hand, I'm considering another scenario: obtaining an average DAT score and applying in late July, rather than applying later (after the first wave of interviews). I am open to acceptance from any dental school, as my primary goal is to secure admission and begin my dental education. On top of that, I don't mind having to apply to more schools, as many as possible. As finances are not my primary concern as of right now.

My current plan is to apply to grad school regardless, during the winter of this year, for the semester Fall 2024. This is to improve my GPA and increase my chances of getting into dental school. If I do end up going to a 2-year grad school program, then I would be applying in the summer between my first and second year of grad school to move to dental school right after graduating.

Given these circumstances, I have a few questions:

1. How much does applying early (late July) with a 3.0 GPA and an average DAT score increase my chances compared to applying with a ~22 DAT score in late August?
  2. If my chances of getting into dental school with my current stats are not favorable, would it be advisable to pursue graduate school to improve my GPA and then apply for dental school afterward? Or would it be better to apply directly to dental schools and address the GPA issue in my application?
  3. Should I apply this cycle in the first place with these current circumstances? Or would it be better to wait to apply during grad school with a better GPA?
  4. Would schools look at my application if I submit it without my DAT score and then sending in my DAT once I take it mid-August?
I understand that admission decisions can vary among schools, but any general advice or insights based on your experiences or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for your input!

Best regards

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say focus on getting as high a DAT score as possible to help offset the GPA. I didnt have the best GPA either, but I got a good DAT score which helped me. I would highly suggest DAT Booster because compared to other programs I had used, they really prepared me well to the point the actual exam didnt seem as bad as my previous attempts. As far as graduate school, Im not too familiar with programs, but I did a post-bacc to make my application more competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
As finances are not my primary concern as of right now.
Why’s that? Do you have help paying for school?

If it’s just because you’re worried about getting in and then thinking about how to pay for it afterwards, that’s a big mistake. With your current stats, if you get accepted it most likely will be a school that will leave you at least $650,000 in debt. That is life changing debt. Your future self is going to hate you if you treat this lightly now.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Check out and contact the dental SMP programs. Your 3.0 GPA indicates you taking one to really get you on a fast track to acceptance to dental school provided you have a solid DAT score and perform above 3.7 in your graduate coursework. It is high-risk, high-reward so if you don't do so well, ... . If finances are not an issue, an SMP really would help you.

With a 3.0 GPA, you can't afford to have an "average" DAT score. A super-high DAT won't replace a relatively low GPA, but having an average one won't help you. I don't know if you have enough hours for community service (you don't say anything), but what is your clinical hours count?

So not knowing the rest of your profile (WAMC), you should take question 2 seriously as a course of action.

Reactions: 1 user
Why’s that? Do you have help paying for school?

If it’s just because you’re worried about getting in and then thinking about how to pay for it afterwards, that’s a big mistake. With your current stats, if you get accepted it most likely will be a school that will leave you at least $650,000 in debt. That is life changing debt. Your future self is going to hate you if you treat this lightly now.

Big Hoss
I just want to figure out what my best options are as of right now and worry about the finances after. I'm not treating it lightly and it will definitely be something to consider however, I wanna look at all my options without that first then consider it and plan accordingly.

I would definitely consider an SMP to build up your GPA since you’re really on the cutoffs for your undergrad GPA. You should be aiming for a 22AA+ to help you.

Applying to a lot of schools is expensive, so just keep that in mind. 15-20 schools will sent you back 4-5k at the very least. Some schools that would take a look at you with what you have now would be 600k+ debt. Which is really a lot. That’s like 5-6k a month for 20 years kind of debt. If you spend the time now to focus on your application and make it the best it can be, you’ll save a lot more in the long run.

I just want to figure out what my best options are as of right now and worry about the finances after. I'm not treating it lightly and it will definitely be something to consider however, I wanna look at all my options without that first then consider it and plan accordingly.
You’re going to be tempted to apply to certain schools that cost $700,000+ because they have lower average stats. I would not apply to these programs. My advice, if you can’t get into a “reasonably” affordable school, dentistry isn’t your thing.

Big Hoss

Status
Not open for further replies.