Chance me for UNC - Chapel Hill (34P / 3.85)... suggestions for other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMGMike

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am particularly interested in my chances at UNC-CH but I plan to apply early and apply broadly. I am not sure where I should be apply. My priorities are minimizing my debt/loans and being in an area of the country I would enjoy (West Coast, East Coast, Rocky Mountains) because my girlfriend will be traveling with me.

I have a number of problems in my app:
- Extended time in college (5.5 years) - Explained in PS
- 2 VERY low credit semesters (6 creds in one and 3 in another, explained in PS - sick family member in one semester; other was last semester and only needed 3 creds but I was working full-time at that point)
- Lackluster ECs
- I am currently in a gap year (technically year-and-a-half) and haven't done much other than working full-time as a medical records technician.
- Have been unemployed for the past 4 months and have been supporting myself with my online business (buy overstock/clearance from companies and resell).

SCHOOLS
UNC - Chapel Hill (in-state)
Brody (in-state, not sure I want to do primary care however)
Please make some suggestions!

STATS

GPA 3.85
sGPA 3.80
MCAT 34Q (12PS / 11VR / 11BS)

UG: Rutgers - New Brunswick
Major: Neurobio / Psych Double
- Took 5.5 years to graduate due to family illness (addressed in PS)

EC
- 3 years (700-800 hours) volunteer in cardiology practice
- 1 year (250 hours) shadowing cardiologist I volunteered for
- 1 year editor/VP of undergrad research journal
- 6 years (and running) as owner of a small internet LLC (not sure if I should even mention this on my app?)
- 2 years (starting in my final semester of college, up until 4 months ago) full-time work as a medical records technician
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude (is this worth mentioning?)
- Honor roll every semester (is this worth mentioning?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I haven't received any responses. I know my scores are good but there are some relatively big red flags and I know there are others with similar scores that did not get accepted (see here for a recent example).

I'm not sure why I haven't received any responses. I know my scores are good but there are some relatively big red flags and I know there are others with similar scores that did not get accepted (see here for a recent example).

imo, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. none of your "red flags" are really "red flags", and UNC's stats is around 3.6/3.5 and 32, so you're golden stats wise as well.

tbh, if you are a NC resident with those stats, unc acceptance should be a slam dunk. heck, in-state applicants have a 25% chance of getting an interview, which is unbelievable.

Members don't see this ad :)
the "problems" in your application seem to actually give it substance. i wouldn't worry about them

imo, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. none of your "red flags" are really "red flags", and UNC's stats is around 3.6/3.5 and 32, so you're golden stats wise as well.

tbh, if you are a NC resident with those stats, unc acceptance should be a slam dunk. heck, in-state applicants have a 25% chance of getting an interview, which is unbelievable.

It is 3.71/3.6 and 33, OP is still ok.

Should is right, but it is not the case at UNC.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I guess I overestimated the impact of the abnormal stuff on my app. Now I just need to make sure to address everything in a coherent manner on my application.

Anyone able to read over my PS and give me some criticism?

I spoke with an admissions counselor at UNC that told me they get 6000 apps, 1000 are instate, they interview about 600 and 500 of those are instate so 500/1000 = 50% chance of interview...I think OP has a great shot and I hope to see you at an interview day in Chapel Hill this fall!

I spoke with an admissions counselor at UNC that told me they get 6000 apps, 1000 are instate, they interview about 600 and 500 of those are instate so 500/1000 = 50% chance of interview...I think OP has a great shot and I hope to see you at an interview day in Chapel Hill this fall!

that's pretty incredible...i dont think you get a similar percentage with any other state school...

I am particularly interested in my chances at UNC-CH but I plan to apply early and apply broadly. I am not sure where I should be apply. My priorities are minimizing my debt/loans and being in an area of the country I would enjoy (West Coast, East Coast, Rocky Mountains) because my girlfriend will be traveling with me.

I have a number of problems in my app:
- Extended time in college (5.5 years) - Explained in PS
- 2 VERY low credit semesters (6 creds in one and 3 in another, explained in PS - sick family member in one semester; other was last semester and only needed 3 creds but I was working full-time at that point)
- Lackluster ECs
- I am currently in a gap year (technically year-and-a-half) and haven't done much other than working full-time as a medical records technician.
- Have been unemployed for the past 4 months and have been supporting myself with my online business (buy overstock/clearance from companies and resell).

SCHOOLS
UNC - Chapel Hill (in-state)
Brody (in-state, not sure I want to do primary care however)
Please make some suggestions!

STATS

GPA 3.85
sGPA 3.80
MCAT 34Q (12PS / 11VR / 11BS)

UG: Rutgers - New Brunswick
Major: Neurobio / Psych Double
- Took 5.5 years to graduate due to family illness (addressed in PS)

EC
- 3 years (700-800 hours) volunteer in cardiology practice
- 1 year (250 hours) shadowing cardiologist I volunteered for
- 1 year editor/VP of undergrad research journal
- 6 years (and running) as owner of a small internet LLC (not sure if I should even mention this on my app?)
- 2 years (starting in my final semester of college, up until 4 months ago) full-time work as a medical records technician
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude (is this worth mentioning?)
- Honor roll every semester (is this worth mentioning?)

1) Yes, mention the small internet LLC that you own; to me, this shows autonomy and initiative
2) Mention the magna cum laude and the honor roll - I combined all my awards/grants/fellowships etc. etc. any designations into one activity listing in AMCAS
3) Honestly don't know how the extended time will affect you, but if you have rationale for it my thinking is that adcoms will be reasonable about it
4) Don't just apply to in-state schools. Your state are above average for UNC/ECU but that by no measure means you are definitely going to get in to either. I would aim to apply to 10-15 mid-tier schools that have average accepted students around your GPA and MCAT. It'll be difficult to get an acceptance to any west coast school, so I would focus on midwestern and northern schools. Avoid schools with strong in-state preferences.

1) Yes, mention the small internet LLC that you own; to me, this shows autonomy and initiative
2) Mention the magna cum laude and the honor roll - I combined all my awards/grants/fellowships etc. etc. any designations into one activity listing in AMCAS
3) Honestly don't know how the extended time will affect you, but if you have rationale for it my thinking is that adcoms will be reasonable about it
4) Don't just apply to in-state schools. Your state are above average for UNC/ECU but that by no measure means you are definitely going to get in to either. I would aim to apply to 10-15 mid-tier schools that have average accepted students around your GPA and MCAT. It'll be difficult to get an acceptance to any west coast school, so I would focus on midwestern and northern schools. Avoid schools with strong in-state preferences.

maybe i am being naive or overly optimistic, but i think med schools will view your gap years positively, especially since you kept yourself busy with work and whatnot. now regarding your 5.5 year undergrad, i am sure that wont raise much of an eyebrow considering that many people take more than 4 years.

and with a 3.8+ and 34, dont just limit yourself to "mid-tiers".

maybe i am being naive or overly optimistic, but i think med schools will view your gap years positively, especially since you kept yourself busy with work and whatnot. now regarding your 5.5 year undergrad, i am sure that wont raise much of an eyebrow considering that many people take more than 4 years.

and with a 3.8+ and 34, dont just limit yourself to "mid-tiers".

I wasn't referring to gap years, I was talking about the 5.5 year time to graduation.

Don't limit yourself, but certainly apply to a wide range of schools; some people in this thread are being overly optimistic.

I wasn't referring to gap years, I was talking about the 5.5 year time to graduation.

Don't limit yourself, but certainly apply to a wide range of schools; some people in this thread are being overly optimistic.

my bad!

but yeah, the OP definitely needs to apply to a broad range of schools (15-20) and not limit himself to NC.

haha...

btw Shaker, how's physics 212 at Fullerton?

:eek: How do you know where I go??

But to answer your question, it's good. The class can be a bit difficult but the lab is easier than anything. The professor is a pretty cool guy as well, probably one of the best professors in the entire school. He's an MCAT Physics teacher on the side so that seems to affect his teaching (in a good way).

:eek: How do you know where I go??

But to answer your question, it's good. The class can be a bit difficult but the lab is easier than anything. The professor is a pretty cool guy as well, probably one of the best professors in the entire school. He's an MCAT Physics teacher on the side so that seems to affect his teaching (in a good way).

dont be alarmed! i needed a place to take the second semester of physics in order to complete my prereqs, so i went searching on this forum. i randomly came across a thread where you said you went to cal state fullerton, and that the premeds flock to physics 211/212 series, where all you need is algebra!

i am taking 212 over the summer, sure beats taking it at a UC!

dont be alarmed! i needed a place to take the second semester of physics in order to complete my prereqs, so i went searching on this forum. i randomly came across a thread where you said you went to cal state fullerton, and that the premeds flock to physics 211/212 series, where all you need is algebra!

i am taking 212 over the summer, sure beats taking it at a UC!

Ah, I figured it was that post. Either that or someone from my school finally found me. :laugh:

Try to take Dubuque. Best professor ever. :)

Well...this is awkward. :D

Awkward... nah, your app is great. It scares me that you weren't accepted the first time around. I hope things go better this time!