Chance Me - How many programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year osteopathic student interested in ACGME Neurology programs.

Statistics:
Go to "Top 5" DO school in the midwest
USMLE Step 1: 239
COMLEX Level 1: 601
Pre-Clinical: Top 10% - We get letters in our file based on our grade on the block final. I received letters in every block (Top 10% Neurology letter that should make it into MSPE)
Clinical: Have not been in long enough to have something to put here

Goals: Private Practice Community Neurologist - would not mind living in a smaller community either

1. Will I match?
2. What caliber of programs should I be aiming for? I know I do not want tip top academic. They would not take me anyway. I want to be an extremely solid PP neurologist.
3. How many programs should I apply to?

I guess all of the questions are related. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In 2014, ranking 10 neurology programs was correlated with almost a 100% match rate. Do some research and you will see that your step 1 score has you in a good position for neurology. There are DO's all across the country in good neuro residencies.

Having research or something very unique about your application may help you match at some of the better places, but besides step 1 your LOR, research, Step 2, clinical grades are next important.

I'm a competitive 4th year and I think I'll apply to 20 (probably too many but w/e), with a spread of top programs to more regional programs, and we shall see how many I interview at.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Number of programs completely depends on what programs you're applying to. You should be able to match to a very good program, as long as you also take USMLE Step 2 and get good LORs. I would say apply to a broad range, including a few backups as well as a few that you think are long shots.

3rd year osteopathic student interested in ACGME Neurology programs.

Statistics:
Go to "Top 5" DO school in the midwest
USMLE Step 1: 239
COMLEX Level 1: 601
Pre-Clinical: Top 10% - We get letters in our file based on our grade on the block final. I received letters in every block (Top 10% Neurology letter that should make it into MSPE)
Clinical: Have not been in long enough to have something to put here

Goals: Private Practice Community Neurologist - would not mind living in a smaller community either

1. Will I match?
2. What caliber of programs should I be aiming for? I know I do not want tip top academic. They would not take me anyway. I want to be an extremely solid PP neurologist.
3. How many programs should I apply to?

I guess all of the questions are related. Thanks.

Your stats are much better than mine where when I applied (2014 match year). I interviewed about 9 places total and ranked all of them, none of them being that highly ranked nationally (wanted to stay in the Midwest for personal reasons). Matched at my #2. I don't quite know how competitive it is now but I think you WILL definitely match, just a matter of where. If your goal is more clinical, then choose a residency that is more geared towards clinical work and less research which is where I ended up going as that was my goal as well (PP neurologist). I think 20 programs is more than enough, you can always add more later if you need be but I ended up doing like 25 and it was definitely more than I needed as I ended up canceling about 7-8 interviews. Also be realistic in what you apply, don't waste money on places you know are sort of long shot.