Chance me? Low GPA, but unique circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

askamsky51

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose that I am just stressing as most of the "to be chanced" are... Whether it's external validation of my peers or suggestions and constructive criticism for next cycle, I would like to know what you guys think my chances are for MD? Be gentle, SDN ;).

I would like to mention that my primary motivations towards MD is my passion for international service. This is the overall theme of my personal statement, and application in general.

Stats(Justifications to Follow)

GPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.23
All other GPA: 3.85

MCAT: 31P 10PS/10VR/11BI

26 year old white male

My GPA had a huge drop from winter to summer of my junior year. I was at a 3.78 GPA prior to this, and have had an upward trend since (not 4.0, but good). My personal statement addresses my GPA drop (not in a whiny fashion).

I found out that my ex-girlfriend who lived across the country was seven months pregnant with my son, and wanted to place him up for adoption. I was adamantly opposed to this at first... After struggling to effectively figure out how to take care of both he and I in less than two months, I realized that it was for selfish reasons that I wished to raise him. There is no way I could have provided him the environment and attention any child deserved. In reality it's much more complicated than that, but for SDN purposes you guys get the idea.

I went into a significant state of depression. I would often ditch my morning classes and sleep in my vehicle until nightfall. Other things, you get the idea.

I think this may help justify to schools why I have such a low GPA. My low grades fell into O-Chem and Gen-bio. Easy stuff mostly, which I hope may be justified by my slightly higher bio MCAT section. Straight A's through gen chem and physics btw.

EC's:

-Fours years as a Marine Corps infantryman. I went to combat, and am decorated. My award is listed on my application. This was also my initial motivation towards international medicine. I had a pivotal experience with a woman who became a multiple amputee. Long story, but it's a significant portion of my personal statement.
-30 hours of tutoring and mentoring underprivileged Native American youth

-Two weeks in Costa Rica, directly working with patients. During this time we would hike out to literally the end of civilization and provide primary care. My duties included doctor shadowing, personally performing physicals, taking vitals, running the field pharmacy, filling out patients documents while inquiring details from the patients (in Spanish and Bri-Bri) and performing my own differential which I would present to the physician.

-83 hours of clinical experience volunteering in the ER
-Competitive Internship with the FAA over one summer
-Scholarship to a weekend "min-med school" (sponsored by NCNM and guests from OHSU)
- Phi Theta Kappa for two years at the community college (not sure if this even means anything)
-Three associates degrees earned in the time it took to get my single transfer degree. Why you ask? Why not. I could.
-I also labeled constructive activities and the like which I do in my free time.

STRONG Letters of Rec.
2 from university science prof's that I had a good relationship with
1 from a community college prof I had VERY strong ties to
1 from my premed adviser (strong)
1 from my old Marine officer
1 from my old dept head at the CC---but he was the president at an MD, DO, ND and Chiropractic college (not sure how strong, but he and I had a few meetings)
1 letter from the director of international service learning (the group in charge of my Costa Rica trip)

I may edit this as I remember the odd little thing, but you guys get the idea. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a former Marine that got into medical school with similar stats as yours. I would say apply early and broadly you definitely have a chance to get into MD. Make sure to apply to VCU, Rush, Drexel, University of Arkansas, Albany medical school some of the schools that I interviewed at.
Please read my MDapplicants profile, I have a good feeling that it will help you out!

Semper Fi!

-Fours years as a Marine Corps infantryman. I went to combat, and am decorated. My award is listed on my application.

You'll be accepted.

Even IF you're not accepted this cycle (or whenever your first cycle is) you'll get in, be it MD or DO, with those stats. Might want to shadow some as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get into MD provided you interview well.

Looks solid to me.

Semper fi.

Thank you for the encouragement. I am somewhat of a late applicant, so I am definitely at a disadvantage. I am marked complete at some, but still have secondaries to finish. No interview invites as of yet.

flodhi1, I applied to almost all of those schools. We talked in pm's back when you were still interviewing. Congrats on your acceptance.

I am just feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment because of my GPA and late status.

I know I could use more shadowing, definitely a weaker area. I was curious if you guys think I should retake my low o-chem and bio, or if my bio section is enough to show i know the material? I am not sure whether I would be better off trying to take post-bac upper division courses in the event I don't matriculate this year. Even though some of you think I could get in with my stats (hey, that would be great).

Last edited:
A 3.4 is not low enough to preclude you from an MD school. Med school adcoms seem to really like people with military backgrounds, so that should work in your favor.

Med school adcoms seem to really like people with military backgrounds, so that should work in your favor.
Do you have any evidence supporting this? I have heard this every now and then and would like to know how heavily veteran status weighs alongside everything else.