Chance Me Please :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlawr019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to dental school, and I am very anxious about this whole process! Would anyone from SDN be willing to offer any insight into my chances or where I stand with certain schools?

I'm applying to: VCU, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Temple, Louisville, Boston, Tufts, Michigan, Tennessee and Georgia.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Here are some stats of mine!

oGPA: 3.59
sGPA: 3.43 (additional bio courses include anatomy, physiology, cell biology, genetics, etc)
BCP: 3.3 (I received a C- in the second part of Physics, but will definitely be retaking in the spring. This is the only C grade I have received in undergrad)

DAT: AA 22 TS 22 Bio 21 OChem 23 GChem 22 RC 21 QR 21 PAT 20

ECs:
~250 hours of shadowing (200 with one general dentist and his associates, 50 with a general/cosmetic dentist)
~60 hours of volunteering as a dental assistant at a free dental clinic providing service to the homeless
~60 hours of volunteering as a tutor for a local elementary school; tutored 3rd and 4th grade mathematics
~20 hours of volunteering at Mission of Mercy Projects (I work for the lead dentists and participated in the clinical and patient coordination of the project)
~500 hours as a children's church director at my church (3 years; prepared lessons, directed trips to nursing homes to work with elderly at nursing homes)
~75 hours as Vacation Bible School director (coordinated the entire program for two summers)

Work experience:
-2.5 years as assistant manager at local Chick-fil-A (I worked here throughout undergrad; leadership role)
-3 months as a dental assistant at a local dental office

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA seems a little on the low side, but you have a solid DAT and great extracurriculars! Is one of those your state school? If so, you probably have a great shot there. If not, I feel like you should definitely get some interviews at some places you applied to.
Good luck!

overal gpa 3.59. really good dat scores. I'd say as long as you do okay in the interviews you should get in. yeah science gpa is a little low but not low enough to keep you out of dental school. I'd say you'll get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm saying a C is a C, from what people have told me the grades such as +s and -s are converted to A/B/C without them.

For GPA calculation there are +/- and without +/- calculations made. For the purpose of considering a course as passed or not, there is no conversion made - the threshold of C or higher is used.