Chance Me Please :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr712

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.88 sGPA
3.25 nonscience GPA
right around a 3.00 cGPA
Decent upward trend

Ohio Resident

MCAT: 31O

EC:
-40 hours volunteering at Southwest General Hospital
-spent the last 3 years as a lead coordinator of a free health clinic in the area for underinsured/uninsured people.
- Numerous MD and DO shadowing w/ recommendations
- By the time I apply this spring I will have over 600 hours of work experience working in a Level 1 Trauma center (Im a scribe, so I see patients with the docs and do all their charting).

Research:
2 semesters in Organic Chemistry research with no publications

I want to know my chances at LECOM, MSUCOM, OUHCOM, CCOM, and PCOM. Also I would like to know what DO school (doesn't have to be from the list above) that I would have the BEST shot at getting into. I plan on applying the first day that applications open up!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I kind of figured MSU and CCOM would be a stretch. I've heard that LECOM has accepted students with sub 3.0 gpa's as long as they apply early and have good ECs/MCAT?

Yeah, I kind of figured MSU and CCOM would be a stretch. I've heard that LECOM has accepted students with sub 3.0 gpa's as long as they apply early and have good ECs/MCAT?
Can it happen? Yes, but I strongly recommend not putting all eggs in one basket. I think if you do some searching you will find what schools don't have a cut-off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta agree. If you can retake a couple next semester and raise your sGPA it will drastically help. Its possible but the odds as you stand are overwhelming against you based on your sGPA alone. But it is a way easy fix.

Thanks!
Also do Psych classes count towards sGPA? Because if they do, it would bump up my sGPA ALOT...lol. I think I will apply to LECOM and a few other schools as I stand now, but since I graduate this summer and will basically have a year off, I will also start a post-bacc just in case I dont make it in :) One last question, I noticed that LECOM offers a post bacc program. Do you automatically get offered a spot in this program if they think you need to improve your stats a little bit or do you have to apply to it separately? Can I apply to their DO program and Post-bacc program at the same time?

Also do Psych classes count towards sGPA? Because if they do, it would bump up my sGPA ALOT...
On rare occasion they do, such as "Biological Basis for Psychopathology," "Neurochemistry of Behavior," or such. If the course description suggests that >50% of the course is biology, it will count toward the sGPA. When in doubt, call AACOMAS and ask.