please chance me! really need some advice as a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I am desperate for some advice for what schools to apply to/whether I should reapply this cycle or wait another one. About me:

C/O 2020 Vanderbilt University
cGPA: 3.67/sGPA: 3.15 🙁 [this is what is hurting me the most I believe, I was a public health major]
MCAT: 509
Volunteering: Intense long-term volunteering for a very well-renown program, 850+ hours in undergrad alone
Leadership/Teaching: TAed for global health course, President of two clubs
Research: Sustained 2.5 years of research undergrad but no publications (project-based research in public health)
Clinical Experience: Shadowed a bit in undergrad but spent this last year (2020-21) scribing in a local clinic
Home state: LA
Not URM but lower income

I applied for the first time this last cycle, 2020-21, and did not receive any interviews. Due to COVID financially I could only apply to about 6 schools (I know), and my MCAT got cancelled twice, so I could not take it until August making my application super late (not complete until Sept/Oct for most schools). I don't know how much to weigh this as my stats are not stellar, but I really feel that if people opened my application I would be a good applicant! What do y'all think? Reapply this cycle when now in a financial place to apply to 20 schools or wait another year and take some STEM classes this year to get my sgpa up (I cannot afford a post-bac). If reapply anybody have any good MD schools I should consider?

If u made it this far THANK YOU <3
 
Which schools did you apply to ?
I applied to LSU New Orleans, LSU Shreveport (still have not heard anything from either LSU school), Tulane, Tufts, U of Oklahoma and GW. This cycle looking at the following:

Tulane
LSU New Orleans
LSU Shreveport
GW
Georgetown
UVA
Virginia Tech
University of Kentucky (in-state ties to KY)
University of Miami Miller

considering Texas app as well? I know these are all a "reach"- that's why I was hoping to get some advice!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I am desperate for some advice for what schools to apply to/whether I should reapply this cycle or wait another one. About me:

C/O 2020 Vanderbilt University
cGPA: 3.67/sGPA: 3.15 🙁 [this is what is hurting me the most I believe, I was a public health major]
MCAT: 509
Volunteering: Intense long-term volunteering for a very well-renown program, 850+ hours in undergrad alone
Leadership/Teaching: TAed for global health course, President of two clubs
Research: Sustained 2.5 years of research undergrad but no publications (project-based research in public health)
Clinical Experience: Shadowed a bit in undergrad but spent this last year (2020-21) scribing in a local clinic
Home state: LA
Not URM but lower income

I applied for the first time this last cycle, 2020-21, and did not receive any interviews. Due to COVID financially I could only apply to about 6 schools (I know), and my MCAT got cancelled twice, so I could not take it until August making my application super late (not complete until Sept/Oct for most schools). I don't know how much to weigh this as my stats are not stellar, but I really feel that if people opened my application I would be a good applicant! What do y'all think? Reapply this cycle when now in a financial place to apply to 20 schools or wait another year and take some STEM classes this year to get my sgpa up (I cannot afford a post-bac). If reapply anybody have any good MD schools I should consider?

If u made it this far THANK YOU <3
A 3.15 science GPA is lethal for MD schools, and circling the drain for DO.

All of your applications were donations Dead stop.

Don't even think about reapplying until you either ace a special master's program and or a DIY post bacc.

And TX MS schools? No, just no. That ddir is closed.
 
I suggest applying broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
ACOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Also apply again to your 2 state public schools.