Chance me UoP accelerated dental program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiantDentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know how annoying this type of 'chance me' threads are... if it is to you, I am sorry.

I want to apply at University of Pacific (UoP)'s accelerated dental program, and I am shooting primarily for 2+3 program.

GPA : UW 3.9411, W 4.9411
Class Rank : 1/555
SAT I : 2070 (R640/M770/W660) my third time...
SAT II : Math 2c 800, Chem 750
AP : Cal AB 5, Cal BC 5, Statistics 5, World History 4, Env Science 4

Extracurr : [putting all my possible Extracurrs up until my senior year] 4 years Model UN (possibly treasury), 2 years Varsity Tennis Team, 2 years NHS, 2 years Spanish Honor Society (possibly president), 1 year Principal Advisory, Governor School for summer 2011, 2 years Math Club (possibly president), 4 years Teacher-Assistant Leaders for Triangle Korean School (out-of-school), 200+ hours Community Service Hours, 30+ hours shadowing a dentist

Oh, I forgot to mention I am a rising Junior and Korean (Asian).. haha.

Well, pleace chance me with your honesties.. possible suggestions I might get with this profile, i guess are:

1. 'your R640 and M770 qualify for consideration, but the Reading just sucks.. take SAT again'
2. 'have another SAT II to look good..' ( well, for this program, does SAT II really count?)
3. 'have more shadowing.. and more leadership'

Please also consider the 3 questions I thought of that might arise among the repliers, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I know how annoying this type of 'chance me' threads are... if it is to you, I am sorry.

I want to apply at University of Pacific (UoP)'s accelerated dental program, and I am shooting primarily for 2+3 program.

GPA : UW 3.9411, W 4.9411
Class Rank : 1/555
SAT I : 2070 (R640/M770/W660) my third time...
SAT II : Math 2c 800, Chem 750
AP : Cal AB 5, Cal BC 5, Statistics 5, World History 4, Env Science 4

Extracurr : [putting all my possible Extracurrs up until my senior year] 4 years Model UN (possibly treasury), 2 years Varsity Tennis Team, 2 years NHS, 2 years Spanish Honor Society (possibly president), 1 year Principal Advisory, Governor School for summer 2011, 2 years Math Club (possibly president), 4 years Teacher-Assistant Leaders for Triangle Korean School (out-of-school), 200+ hours Community Service Hours, 30+ hours shadowing a dentist

Oh, I forgot to mention I am a rising Junior and Korean (Asian).. haha.

Well, pleace chance me with your honesties.. possible suggestions I might get with this profile, i guess are:

1. 'your R640 and M770 qualify for consideration, but the Reading just sucks.. take SAT again'
2. 'have another SAT II to look good..' ( well, for this program, does SAT II really count?)
3. 'have more shadowing.. and more leadership'

Please also consider the 3 questions I thought of that might arise among the repliers, thank you.

You will be fine. As someone who was accepted into the same 2+3 program (with Honors!)....take it from me...you will get in as a 2+3. Probably with Honors as well.

Your reading isn't ":eek:!!!"-inducing but it's still above the 600 requirement that Pacific asks for. SAT II isn't a big factor, either, as long as you've done Math IIC and at least one other subject (which you have). Your Extracurriculars are impressive, and I wouldn't stress over the leadership TOO much unless you want to get the Founder's (I believe they call it the Powell's now) Scholarship. Not that many incoming Pre-Dents do any kind of shadowing at all (that's something that usually starts when you're in college) so you're also set in that area.

Trust me, the real challenge isn't really getting accepted as a 2+3, but staying afloat once you finally get here. 화이팅!

EDIT: Ok, just a disclaimer that it's more than likely more competitive now than it was when I was in high school (3.5 years ago)...still, a 3.9 is sparkling and 2070 is competitive. If you are really concerned, I recommend calling the school itself and speaking to the head of the Pre-Dent program (his name is Dr. Jongeward, and he's also Bio Department Chair).

Last edited:
You will be fine. As someone who was accepted into the same 2+3 program (with Honors!)....take it from me...you will get in as a 2+3. Probably with Honors as well.

Your reading isn't ":eek:!!!"-inducing but it's still above the 600 requirement that Pacific asks for. SAT II isn't a big factor, either, as long as you've done Math IIC and at least one other subject (which you have). Your Extracurriculars are impressive, and I wouldn't stress over the leadership TOO much unless you want to get the Founder's (I believe they call it the Powell's now) Scholarship. Not that many incoming Pre-Dents do any kind of shadowing at all (that's something that usually starts when you're in college) so you're also set in that area.

Trust me, the real challenge isn't really getting accepted as a 2+3, but staying afloat once you finally get here. 화이팅!

Thank you very much for your reply and also your time.

If you'd like, can you answer 2 more questions..

1. in junior year I'm taking 7 AP's and I was considering taking every single AP Exam. This doesn't really help, does it? I was just thinking taking many AP Exams will help me replace courses at college, but since accelerated dental program rids of all unnecessary classes, it shouldn't matter?

2. what did you write your app essay about? something dental or personal?

And also, is their early application for this program =D ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your reply and also your time.

If you'd like, can you answer 2 more questions..

1. in junior year I'm taking 7 AP's and I was considering taking every single AP Exam. This doesn't really help, does it? I was just thinking taking many AP Exams will help me replace courses at college, but since accelerated dental program rids of all unnecessary classes, it shouldn't matter?

2. what did you write your app essay about? something dental or personal?

And also, is their early application for this program =D ?

1) Whatever you can handle....APs will help you replace general education courses and will generally add to your unit count, but science APs (e.g. AP Bio, AP Chem, etc) will *not* waive your course requirements. You need to take sciences in college, no exceptions. Waiving math is ok.

And the accelerated program itself doesn't rid all "unnecessary" classes...you still need to take a breadth of general education courses. Some of these you can waive with your AP credits, others you can't.

2) Personal.

No early app. At least not that I can remember. One general app that's due in November. But if you're only gonna be a junior next year, just relax and worry about classes. Application fun is for senior year! :laugh:

1) Whatever you can handle....APs will help you replace general education courses and will generally add to your unit count, but science APs (e.g. AP Bio, AP Chem, etc) will *not* waive your course requirements. You need to take sciences in college, no exceptions. Waiving math is ok.

And the accelerated program itself doesn't rid all "unnecessary" classes...you still need to take a breadth of general education courses. Some of these you can waive with your AP credits, others you can't.

2) Personal.

No early app. At least not that I can remember. One general app that's due in November. But if you're only gonna be a junior next year, just relax and worry about classes. Application fun is for senior year! :laugh:

I have even more questions.. gah... tell me if I am bugging you..

1. I am legally in US, but came from S.Korea 5 years ago and have no greencard, which means I am international. I know that it is given that international generally have less chance. Is it so in this program? I thought you might be Korean too b/c of your 화이팅. haha

2. Less chance for an asian, b/c there's too much asian there already? haha

3. Are you satisfied with the 2+3 program, and are you perhaps thinking of dropping down to 3+3 like I heard most who get frustrated.

I know I am very talkative, but I know I want to be a dentist for sure. Thank you..