You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Chance of getting in???
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even with the high gpa? Also, do you think it makes a difference if one attends Columbia vs NSU?
Just don't settle for a 20AA if you have any interest in attending Columbia. Study hardy.
(disclaimer: a 20AA is fantastic)
(disclaimer: a 20AA is fantastic)
Even with the high gpa? Also, do you think it makes a difference if one attends Columbia vs NSU?
Completely depends on what you're trying to do. Both are great schools, both offer different things. Both are in pretty different locations as well. Do you care about the name? Do you want to specialize? Etc.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I want to specialize in oral surgery but I do have thoughts about general dentistry just because of the schooling time and debt.Completely depends on what you're trying to do. Both are great schools, both offer different things. Both are in pretty different locations as well. Do you care about the name? Do you want to specialize? Etc.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I want to specialize in oral surgery but I do have thoughts about general dentistry just because of the schooling time and debt.
Both offer specialties, and Nova has a nice thing that if you are a Nova student you are guaranteed an interview at Nova for specialities (but not an acceptance). However if you think there's a serious chance you would want to specialize, I would go to Columbia.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
FWIW, I have an interview at Columbia with 3.97 GPA and 20AA
@TheRealBaller06 looks like it's possibleFWIW, I have an interview at Columbia with 3.97 GPA and 20AA

You just gave me hope lol. Im gonna take the DAT at the beginning of January instead of the summerFWIW, I have an interview at Columbia with 3.97 GPA and 20AA
You just gave me hope lol. Im gonna take the DAT at the beginning of January instead of the summer
Lol I'm glad I could do that. However as stated above Columbia does have an average of 23 AA for those accepted. Therefore, I'm sure its not many applicants that get an interview with a 20 AA. I'm sure if you study hard enough you can get a 22 or 23.
do
Ill be studying now through winter break until about January 9-12. I will not have taken orgo II, A&P II, microbio, and cell and moles. think I can do it?Lol I'm glad I could do that. However as stated above Columbia does have an average of 23 AA for those accepted. Therefore, I'm sure its not many applicants that get an interview with a 20 AA. I'm sure if you study hard enough you can get a 22 or 23.
do
Ill be studying now through winter break until about January 9-12. I will not have taken orgo II, A&P II, microbio, and cell and moles. think I can do it?
I took my DAT without taking Orgo II. I wouldn't recommend it but it's possible, you're in for a long two months though.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
do
Ill be studying now through winter break until about January 9-12. I will not have taken orgo II, A&P II, microbio, and cell and moles. think I can do it?
I'm sure you can. I noticed Orgo questions were mainly on lab techniques with a few questions regarding reactions. Usually the reactions are the easier ones IMO such as the Diels-Alder. I suggest using course saver videos for Orgo and GC.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took my DAT without taking Orgo II. I wouldn't recommend it but it's possible, you're in for a long two months though.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Agreed, I took the DAT while taking Orgo II, probably not the best idea, but it worked out.
It's totally possible if you sign up for Chad's videos and Coursesaver. Just memorize the high yield summary sheets that they provide and finish all of the OC section of Destroyer.
OC, Chem, and QR are all sections that are possible to ace with a high score with enough practice. The difference between a 24 and a 30 on any of these sections is merely a matter of 3-5 questions. So definitely incredibly high yield and would make sense to focus on.
Agreed, I took the DAT while taking Orgo II, probably not the best idea, but it worked out.
It's totally possible if you sign up for Chad's videos and Coursesaver. Just memorize the high yield summary sheets that they provide and finish all of the OC section of Destroyer.
OC, Chem, and QR are all sections that are possible to ace with a high score with enough practice. The difference between a 24 and a 30 on any of these sections is merely a matter of 3-5 questions. So definitely incredibly high yield and would make sense to focus on.
Yup, Chads and Bootcamp taught me O-Chem II pretty much along with self study
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I wouldn't recommend studying for the DAT without orgo II A&P II AND MBIO. That is a really significant portion of the exam. I honestly don't know if it was my version, but I had like one or two orgo I questions. I'd say 90% of my exam was A&P and mbio (including lab techniques).do
Ill be studying now through winter break until about January 9-12. I will not have taken orgo II, A&P II, microbio, and cell and moles. think I can do it?
Cell and molec isn't that big of a deal.. I had hardly anything related to those two. I wouldn't recommend taking the exam without those courses, again.
OC, Chem, and QR are all sections that are possible to ace with a high score with enough practice. The difference between a 24 and a 30 on any of these sections is merely a matter of 3-5 questions. So definitely incredibly high yield and would make sense to focus on.
Exactly the same strategy I used.
Got a 30 on OCHEM but I can't for the love of God remember what a Diels Alder reaction is... or any rxn for that matter.I'm sure you can. I noticed Orgo questions were mainly on lab techniques with a few questions regarding reactions. Usually the reactions are the easier ones IMO such as the Diels-Alder. I suggest using course saver videos for Orgo and GC.
Last edited:
Welcome to the "forgetting everything right after you get your DAT scores" club LOLGot a 30 on OCHEM but I can't for the love of God remember what a Diels Alder reaction is... or any rxn for that matter.
College in a nutshell.Welcome to the "forgetting everything right after you get your DAT scores" club LOL

I agree OChem II was where most of the questions came from in my exam as well. I think in biology its pretty hard to guarantee any type of question. There is so much included in the Biology section though. I find it difficult to take all the courses included in the section before taking the DAT. I've heard Cell bio, Biochem, Embryology, Nuerobiology, Physiology, Immunology and all sorts of different types of questions that people got on their Bio sections.
Yeah for Bio I would say with Ferralis notes you'll be fine, most of my O-Chem section was O-Chem II as well
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I took the DAT without completing my Orgo II, Bio II or any other advanced Bio classes. I'd say Ferralis' Notes & Bootcamp would be enough.
Don't you dare start estimating or placing limits on yourself for the DAT now. That kind of mentality is for the weak. A 3.9+ is fantastic and you are more than capable of pulling off a 21+ on the DAT. Study your butt off for the DAT and you will be rewarded. Good luck in the future
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 2K