Chance of landing neuro spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drhappyface

Reaction score
I'm currently a Transitional year resident (my program meets the intern year requirements that neurology pgy2 spots require). Had a chance to work with a neurologist during my EM rotation of 4th year and became interested in it. Did my first elective during my Transitional year and love it. My stats are 226 step 1 and 224 step 2. What are my chances of finding a spot? I want to go to the best program I can regardless of where it is in the country. What are the chances of going directly into a PGY2 spot? Are they difficult to find? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You would need to apply to advanced programs. I strongly doubt that a categorical program would take you in but if you did a transitional year then it should be fine for advanced

Members don't see this ad :)
You would need to apply to advanced programs. I strongly doubt that a categorical program would take you in but if you did a transitional year then it should be fine for advanced
Why would it be hard to get a categorical spot? I'm going to be applying to advanced, physcian reserved and categorical spots. I do prefer a advanced or physcian reserved spot.

Why would it be hard to get a categorical spot? I'm going to be applying to advanced, physcian reserved and categorical spots. I do prefer a advanced or physcian reserved spot.
Categorial already has their full class they are accredited for. And since categorical includes the prelim year they dont have room for any more? They can't just take more people there's a whole process to determine how many you can have per patient volume etc. I'm not familiar with many physician reserved spots in Neuro but i focused mainly on midwest and not huge academic places

Reactions: 1 user
Why would it be hard to get a categorical spot?
You'd either have to find a vacated spot, which is probably not very common after PGY1 year in neurology, or a program that that is expanding and has the resources to accept an extra PGY2, which is probably even less common.

The only person I personally know who switched from another specialty to categorical neurology after PGY1 year had to repeat PGY1 year, with a heavily modified schedule. I know my (categorical) program requires PGY1s to complete several neurology rotations (which are part of the preliminary PGY1 schedule).

Ideally I would want a pgy2 spot starting next year because my Transitional year is pretty much set up as a preliminary year. I also have 2 electives which I plan on doing in neuro. I'm heavily focusing on the physcian reserved spots. After looking over 2020's NRMP data there were about 21 spots and a majority of then went to non-US IMG. This was the only specialty where this was the case as most other physicians reserved spots (eg anesthsia, derm, radiology etc) went to MD, followed by DO and then US FMG. Is there a heavy favortitism for IMG's in this field?

Ideally I would want a pgy2 spot starting next year because my Transitional year is pretty much set up as a preliminary year. I also have 2 electives which I plan on doing in neuro. I'm heavily focusing on the physcian reserved spots. After looking over 2020's NRMP data there were about 21 spots and a majority of then went to non-US IMG. This was the only specialty where this was the case as most other physicians reserved spots (eg anesthsia, derm, radiology etc) went to MD, followed by DO and then US FMG. Is there a heavy favortitism for IMG's in this field?
No, it’s more lack of Us grads largely. Neuro scares people. Physician reserved spots are for physicians no? If you’re just a rising PGY2 you likely wouldn’t qualify? I think your only bet is advanced program or finding one of the aforementioned rare cases

No, it’s more lack of Us grads largely. Neuro scares people. Physician reserved spots are for physicians no? If you’re just a rising PGY2 you likely wouldn’t qualify? I think your only bet is advanced program or finding one of the aforementioned rare cases
From what I have heard, is that I can apply to those spots because technically I am a physician even though a resident. They are basically like advanced positions but instead of waiting a year to start, I can start right after I finish my Transitional year. Maybe someone can chime in to clear the confusion.

From what I have heard, is that I can apply to those spots because technically I am a physician even though a resident. They are basically like advanced positions but instead of waiting a year to start, I can start right after I finish my Transitional year. Maybe someone can chime in to clear the confusion.
Seems to me like that’s just a regular advanced spot and physician reserved is for someone who is an actual board certified physician. I’d aim for advanced spots if I were you. Apply to every single one

Seems to me like that’s just a regular advanced spot and physician reserved is for someone who is an actual board certified physician. I’d aim for advanced spots if I were you. Apply to every single one
Thanks for the input and yeah honestly I'll be happy with an advanced spot also. I just wouldn't know what to do with the gap year in between.

Reactions: 1 user