Chance this underdog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

touchpause13

nolite te bastardes carborundorum
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So just let me preface this by saying my primary was released in late July, and most of my secondaries are in at this point. Just wondering what are my actual chances for this cycle.

sGPA 3.1 cGPA 3.3 MCAT 24 - retaking Sept. 7th

ECs:

DII Rugby player, current co-captain/president, former treasurer
Sorority, current Vice President/Academic Chair
Volunteered in ER
Other rando non-medical volunteer stuff
Biology TA
Shadowed MD
Did a mission to an african country in high school
worked as a CNA and HHA over the last 3 years

LOR
1 non-science 2 science 1 MD 1 academic advisor

Major:
English, with a minor in Women and Gender Studies

Schools I have applied to:
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM
CU
DMU - yeah i know im not getting in there
KCUMB
LECOM-B
LECOM-E/SH
MU-COM
LMU-DCOM
NSU-COM
PCOM-Philly
PCOM- GA
KYCOM
WVCOM

:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

fyi those are estimated GPAs b/c I just got my summer transcript in to accomas and they have not processed my new GPAs yet

Fingers crossed for you that you get above a 27 on the MCAT! That will help a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fingers crossed for you that you get above a 27 on the MCAT! That will help a lot.

A 27/28 is possible, I'm worried about how late it will be tho... schools wont get my new MCAT until october :scared:

whats your state of residency? that's very important in this process. Do schools know you're retaking? It kinda sucks you wont have your scores back in october so schools prob wont make a decision until then which is a bit late. I applied early with a 3.25/3.29 26 and currently have two interviews though, one at lecom-b one at alabama to give you an idea.

whats your state of residency? that's very important in this process. Do schools know you're retaking? It kinda sucks you wont have your scores back in october so schools prob wont make a decision until then which is a bit late. I applied early with a 3.25/3.29 26 and currently have two interviews though, one at lecom-b one at alabama to give you an idea.

MN so no help there. I didnt put the retake thing on ACCOMAS if thats what you mean, Im not 100% sure if I will be ready to take it or not by my date or if I will have to void - I havent gotten up to my goal on practice AAMCs yet

ok that's important, because it means some or even a lot of schools will judge you before your second score comes in. this could be troublesome or you may still get an II or two. if you get on hold tho you can always update with your new score. i think you're a tossup and can go either way really, its hard to say you have a good/bad chance it really depends on a few things. so just hang in there and hope for the best

So just let me preface this by saying my primary was released in late July, and most of my secondaries are in at this point. Just wondering what are my actual chances for this cycle.

ECs:

Volunteered in ER
Biology TA
Shadowed MD

LOR

Major:

ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM
CU
KCUMB
LECOM-B
LECOM-E/SH
MU-COM
LMU-DCOM
NSU-COM
PCOM-Philly
PCOM- GA
KYCOM
WVCOM

Above 27 on your retake will get you in if your interviews go well...Your EC and clinical experience in the healthcare field are great. I think you have a good shot even with that 24 mcat.

Last edited:
MN so no help there. I didnt put the retake thing on ACCOMAS if thats what you mean, Im not 100% sure if I will be ready to take it or not by my date or if I will have to void - I havent gotten up to my goal on practice AAMCs yet
You have to put that you are retaking so schools know about your retake...I dont know if you can go back and put that in the application...

You have to put that you are retaking so schools know about your retake...I dont know if you can go back and put that in the application...

If you haven't taken the AAMCs yet, then you better hop on that now. I am in the exact same boat as you and have my retake on the 6th. You have a good shot if you can get 26+

If you haven't taken the AAMCs yet, then you better hop on that now. I am in the exact same boat as you and have my retake on the 6th. You have a good shot if you can get 26+

Taken 4 AAMCs. Going to take 9, 10 and 11 in the next 2 weeks. Also working my way thru TBR physics which is my weakest section and doing 3 to 5 verbal passages a day. I think I can put that I'm retaking on my accomas? With stats as they are I'm hoping I can get an ii from one of the new(er) schools.

If I were you, I wouldn't put that you are retaking unless you're willing to wait til half the classes are filled. You don't have that great of a GPA so maybe it would be best to put it down because I think you may get screened. You and I are in a bind with timing, if we put down that we are retaking then we dont get reviewed til the end of october at best or we get review between now and then and potentially get rejected because of the low mcat. This is a tough choice, but i decided not to put it down because I didnt want to lose the early secondary advantage, if that is even such a thing

I'd prefer the sGPA to be a bit higher, but even witht he 24, you should be good for some interviews out of your list. Good luck with the retake.

ECs:

Volunteered in ER
Biology TA
Shadowed MD

LOR

Major:

ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM
CU
KCUMB
LECOM-B
LECOM-E/SH
MU-COM
LMU-DCOM
NSU-COM
PCOM-Philly
PCOM- GA
KYCOM
WVCOM

Thank you all for the advice and support. Back to MCAT studying meow!

Are there any other schools you all think I shud add to the school list?

ended up with a 25 MCAT. Playing the waiting game here... but do ya'll still think i have a shot? Still not interviews and i am complete everywhere as of this monday.

ended up with a 25 MCAT. Playing the waiting game here... but do ya'll still think i have a shot? Still not interviews and i am complete everywhere as of this monday.

Although your numbers may be on the lower end, they are still within the standard deviation. Be patient; I think you will get some interviews, especially from new and less popular schools. Again, stay positive because there's nothing you can do at this point. Remember, many have been accepted with similar or even worse numbers. Good luck!

Maybe throw in a couple of the newer schools? Otherwise, continue doing your EC's/work and stuff. Be prepared to wait but I think you might have a chance somewhere.