Do I have a chance without SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2Be93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I graduated in 2015 with a sub 3.0 in both cumulative and science gpas (I know, I know). I have been taking classes and my most recent 24 credits are 3.87 in BCPM courses. I'm planning on taking 35 more credits at 4.0 before applying next cycle. This will still only bring my gpas to ~2.7. I'm URM (black) and a FAP recipient. Is a long string of recent As, coupled with a strong MCAT strong enough? My anxiety is killing me and I'm finding it hard to sleep. I just want to know that all this time/money isn't being wasted. I'm pushing 30 and I need some guidance regarding next steps.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering/employment hours with patient contact ?
You would need to score 508+ on the MCAT to have a ~50% chance for a MD acceptance. Your chances would be higher with DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @Faha! I'm in Florida. I have physician shadowing and 200 hours of clinical volunteering at a children's hospital. I worked as a scribe for a few months in 2015, is this worth mentioning on my application? I also am going to start volunteering a few hours each weekend at a hospice. I plan on applying broadly to MD/DO schools next cycle. Does my plan look sound?

Members don't see this ad :)
Include all shadowing and clinical volunteering hours in your application. Post your actual MCAT score here when available in the future and I will suggest schools you can apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Include all shadowing and clinical volunteering hours in your application. Post your actual MCAT score here when available in the future and I will suggest schools you can apply to.
Will do! Thanks a bunch.

Many schools have a policy of putting eyeballs on any app from URMs. Your reinvention looks OK on paper, although chances might be better with a 3.0+. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users