** Chance to Categorical from Prelim Surg ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lachattta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really desperate right now, I heard some good and bad about prelim surgery.
I am confused, and I know this is hard way to go.. But I really want General Surgery categorical.

I applied this 2019, but I was rush to apply, didn't had CS till very end of this Feb....
I am IMG, required visa J1. I really want to go General surgery categorical for next match.
I luckily got an offer from surgery prelim at some prestigious program, and accepted.

However I am worried, that what are my chance to go Categorical upcoming next match cycle?
what should I do to stand out my application more? overcome my circumstance.

I have 244/256/ CS all first attempt, will do 1year prelim general surgery, IMG, J1 required.
graduate 2019, this upcoming Spring. so I guess not really a year gap,, I think but Idk maybe it is year away gap..
no publication, or abstract.. not have research experience really..
But I got same train in US medical experience throughout my 3rd and 4th year med school, and will get from 1 year experience from surgery department in university program..

Would it be better next match ( upcoming September.)
I will take Step3 by this June, and study my ass off for ABSITE exam (which will end of Jan) will sent my report to the program director ( before hospital ranking), get 2 more LOR from program director and faculty attending where prelim program I am in.

Any other advice or could you be so kind to give me any advice?
what should I do.. to match next categorical? I don't mind do another PGY1, but no more prelim 2nd,,, I might.. but it will be soo... sad and lost.

Would it be better wait till few months, and do some research assistant and apply categorical for next match? instead of taking prelim this year??
Do you think taking prelim instead of research assistant would it actually make lower my chance? or increase my chance??

What should I do to increase my chance to go Categorical General surgery?
Please any advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Getting in an at a prestigious surgery internship makes a huge impact.

After going unmatched to my chosen specialty, I soaped into a prelim surgery intern year at a top surgery program with a well-known PD. Several other unmatched prelims were also in the program.

Some of the outcomes of those unmatched PGY-1 and PGY-2 prelim residents:
- several got spots in radiology
- 1 basically became a categorical PGY-2 surgery resident the next year (had a spot created for her)
- 1 took a non-match spot as a categorical PGY-2 at a different program.
- 1 who was kind of terrible clinically but everyone liked repeated a PGY-1 prelim at the same spot and then later went to a different program as a categorical PGY-2
- 1 PGY-2 prelim (IMG) took a non-match PGY-3 categorical spot at another program
- the other PGY-2 prelim (also an IMG) took a non-match PGY2 spot at a top community program. He had to repeat a year but he got a great residency position.

The best thing you can do is work hard and get the intern year PD on your side. The admin office will be the first to hear of vacancies in other programs and you want him/her going to bat for you.

My personal advice which other people may disagree on is prioritize clinical skills/performance and people liking you over everything else, including research. At the end of the day, if program directors are looking at you to come back-fill an open spot they will be much more concerned whether you can do the clinical work than publish a paper.

Reactions: 4 users
And be on time next year with your application...as an img you already have an uphill battle, not having a complete application on the first day eras opens is just sloppy and lazy...and something very much in your control.

Reactions: 1 user
Getting in an at a prestigious surgery internship makes a huge impact.

After going unmatched to my chosen specialty, I soaped into a prelim surgery intern year at a top surgery program with a well-known PD. Several other unmatched prelims were also in the program.

Some of the outcomes of those unmatched PGY-1 and PGY-2 prelim residents:
- several got spots in radiology
- 1 basically became a categorical PGY-2 surgery resident the next year (had a spot created for her)
- 1 took a non-match spot as a categorical PGY-2 at a different program.
- 1 who was kind of terrible clinically but everyone liked repeated a PGY-1 prelim at the same spot and then later went to a different program as a categorical PGY-2
- 1 PGY-2 prelim (IMG) took a non-match PGY-3 categorical spot at another program
- the other PGY-2 prelim (also an IMG) took a non-match PGY2 spot at a top community program. He had to repeat a year but he got a great residency position.

The best thing you can do is work hard and get the intern year PD on your side. The admin office will be the first to hear of vacancies in other programs and you want him/her going to bat for you.

My personal advice which other people may disagree on is prioritize clinical skills/performance and people liking you over everything else, including research. At the end of the day, if program directors are looking at you to come back-fill an open spot they will be much more concerned whether you can do the clinical work than publish a paper.

Thank you.
I will work hard and be ready.
Appreciate your advice.
Could you be kind to share tips for how to prepare and how to review ABSITE before I go to residency?

And be on time next year with your application...as an img you already have an uphill battle, not having a complete application on the first day eras opens is just sloppy and lazy...and something very much in your control.

Yes.. definitely this time, I will be ready on time.
I gambled this match.
I will be ready this time, Thank you.

You may not need necessarily have to go through Match to get into categorical gen surg. Not only will you end up repeating your PGY-1 year (as all Gen Surg spots in the Match start at PGY-1), but also depending on your schedule and coverage at your program it may be difficult to go on many interviews during your intern year during peak interview season. Gen surg is a specialty that traditionally has a high rate of resident turner over (ie a lot of categorical residents leave their programs, esp. after their PGY-1 year to pursue another specialty), so PGY-2 positions will open up across the country, especially towards April-May of each year. If you get lucky and the current program you are about to go into ends up having a vacancy for PGY-2, it may be possible to simply stay on as a Categorical PGY-2. If not, you'll need to transfer to another program but there's a good chance it can be done without having to go through Match again.

its an uphill battle, but not impossible. get your applications in early. try to leverage the people in your prelim program to use their connections to help you with your next time through the match. letters from big names go a long way. ABSITE is not likely to be a factor in the match, but in the event you don't match, it may come into play. check APDS to look for open spots as well.

research is nice, but it will not change your IMG status. PGY2 prelim is also not the end of the world, then you will have possible PGY 3 spots opening up at places. there is obviously a lot of uncertainty if you have to do that.

its an uphill battle, but not impossible. get your applications in early. try to leverage the people in your prelim program to use their connections to help you with your next time through the match. letters from big names go a long way. ABSITE is not likely to be a factor in the match, but in the event you don't match, it may come into play. check APDS to look for open spots as well.

research is nice, but it will not change your IMG status. PGY2 prelim is also not the end of the world, then you will have possible PGY 3 spots opening up at places. there is obviously a lot of uncertainty if you have to do that.

I have to disagree with you about ABSITE - I’m not sure how far a great score will take you, but a bad score can absolutely sink a prelim. You should aim to do as well as you can while still leaving time to stand out on your clinical duties - stay late, come early, know your patients, etc. I have seen otherwise clinically strong prelims flounder in the Match due to abysmal ABSITE scores.

Reactions: 1 user
thats assuming the score is back before the match. Maybe its different now, but when I was going through the match as a prelim, the scores came out after the rank lists were due. it was not a factor in the interview. obviously if you don't match later on it is super important