Do you notice any difference in competence/motivation between the prelims and the categorical interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you find the prelim med/surg/TY interns lacking in clinical skills or motivation compared to their IM/gen surg counterparts? Are there any specialties (rads, derm) for prelims you specifically dread working with?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was in residency, most of the TYs were going into super competitive specialities so they ran circles around some of the interns. I loved the TYs in general because of that. Prelims were often fighting for a spot as well so they were hard workers.

But our program didn’t have prelim surgery in the hospital so I don’t know.

When I was in residency, most of the TYs were going into super competitive specialities so they ran circles around some of the interns. I loved the TYs in general because of that. Prelims were often fighting for a spot as well so they were hard workers.

But our program didn’t have prelim surgery in the hospital so I don’t know.
Agree…this was my experience as well.

TY moving onto unrelated specialities overall don't and shouldn't care about intern year. I would assume rads, psych, derm, and ophtho would be the most checked out.

Reactions: 1 users
Some are stars, some do the bare minimum. Kind of like everyone, at everything in life. Just one man’s observation.

Reactions: 1 users