Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChanceMePlease

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Commuted my entire undergrad career at a 4 year university. Suffered from mild depression and turned towards Online interactions to remedy my otherwise lacking real life social experience. This caused my grades to plummet. Graduated in 2013 and started my informal post bacc in Spring 2014, my head was a lot clearer now that I managed to recover from my "mental block".

oGPA: 2.65

sGPA: 2.72

DAT

AA
TS 21
QR 19
PAT 19

RC
Bio 21
Orgo 21
GC 20

I have around 22 credit hours of informal post bacc currently with A's in BioChem, Immunology and Cell Biology (all upper division science courses)

Shadowing: >100 hours at a Dental Practice (I shadowed back in 08, 09, 11 and was offered a job in 12 as a dental assistant)
Shadowing: >100 hours at an Ortho Practice

Volunteer: Volunteered at Dental School clinic

Work-Experience: Working as a dental assistant since 2012, >1000 hours.

Treasurer of UGGC, club involved with pairing aspiring Undergrads with Grad students to answer, guide them in their chosen future professions.

I'm hopeful that my GPA won't KILL ME and my other stuff will sort of "balance" it enough to at least not rule me out of the running.

I know my DAT is not 99%tile, and is only a little better than "average" but I was just curious about my chance this cycle. I'm not expecting "Apply and you're guaranteed at least one acceptance". I know that's not in my cards, but as long as I can rest assured that most schools won't "auto reject me" I can cope sort of.

I just want a chance to prove my change in demeanor in an interview and show that my lackluster UGPA doesn't define me.

I plan on taking a few more classes this upcoming Fall, upper division retakes and such.

Also I'm from NY and I plan on applying ASAP, submitted before July.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically 0. You are gonna need to do a lot of work on fixing your GPA and retake the DAT and get 22+.

How's your post-bac GPA?

You're either going to need an outstanding DAT, or something else to offset the low GPA (e.g. excellent performance in a SMP).