Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Proctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that DO schools are more cut throat then MD schools and won't help you if you're struggling? Can someone clarify or pitch in on this

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that DO schools are more cut throat then MD schools and won't help you if you're struggling? Can someone clarify or pitch in on this

I'm sure some DO schools aren't as helpful as others in that situation but by and large most are. I wouldn't say there's a discernible difference between most MD and most DO in this regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
You heard wrong. You basically have to commit a felony to be kicked out of my school and if anyone is struggling and you don’t get help it’s because you avoided the help they tried to give you

You heard wrong. You basically have to commit a felony to be kicked out of my school and if anyone is struggling and you don’t get help it’s because you avoided the help they tried to give you

You'd have to have violent felony right?

Reactions: 1 user
You'd have to have violent felony right?

No, if you commit a felony of any sort you’re out. Why would it only be limited to violent felonies? Breaking the law is, you know, a big deal to a profession that is given so much trust by the public.

Reactions: 1 user
No, if you commit a felony of any sort you’re out. Why would it only be limited to violent felonies? Breaking the law is, you know, a big deal to a profession that is given so much trust by the public.

Lol, I hope you're joking to some extent. Look at these people and what they got away with. I know we were talking about felonies during medical school, but by golly gee, is it hard to lose your license.

"Olmsted, William Robert, M.D., Lic. #J1550, Georgetown TX
On February 3, 2010, the Board temporarily suspended without notice the license of Dr. Olmsted after determining that Dr. Olmsted's continuation in the practice of medicine presents a continuing threat to the public welfare. The action was based on Dr. Olmsted's failure to comply with a 2009 agreed order entered into with the Board requiring him to submit to an independent psychiatric evaluation by a Board-appointed psychiatrist within 30 days of the appointment of the psychiatrist and to continue with any treatment recommended by the psychiatrist. The Board found evidence that Dr. Olmsted continues to engage in a pattern of disregard for the 2009 agreed order. The 2009 agreed order followed Dr. Olmsted's 2006 arrest by Dallas police alleging indecency with a child, and a later plea of no contest to a charge of child indecency by contact, a second-degree felony, which required him to register as a sex offender and placed him on deferred adjudication. The Temporary Suspension (Without Notice of Hearing) will remain in effect until the Board takes further action.

Dr. Olmsted pled no contest to sexual abuse, and did not lose his license or go to jail. It appears that if he had shown up for his appointment with a psychiatrist, he would not have lost his license even temporarily.

Khan, Nameem Ullah, M.D., Lic. #L6235, Amarillo TX
On February 5, 2010, the Board and Dr. Khan entered into a mediated agreed order of public reprimand barring Dr. Khan from performing conscious sedation and requiring Dr. Khan to complete a formal education program in conscious sedation within two years; and complete 20 hours of CME in orthopedic emergencies and pain management. The Board's action was based on Dr. Khan's failure to meet the standard of care by use of inappropriate anesthesia agents and procedures for sedation for a patient with a dislocated shoulder. As a result of Dr. Khan's action the patient died.

Dr. Khan apparently did things wrong and killed a patient. Still licensed.

Anabtawi, Isam Nazmi, M.D., Lic. #D5588, Port Arthur TX
On February 5, 2010, the Board and Dr. Anabtawi entered into an agreed order of public reprimand requiring Dr. Anabtawi to complete five hours of CME in ethics within one year and pay an administrative penalty of $8,000. The Board's action was based on Dr. Anabtawi's indictment on 150 felonious counts of health care fraud and, in lieu of trial, entrance into a federal 18-month pretrial diversion program."

Lol, I hope you're joking to some extent. Look at these people and what they got away with. I know we were talking about felonies during medical school, but by golly gee, is it hard to lose your license.

"Olmsted, William Robert, M.D., Lic. #J1550, Georgetown TX
On February 3, 2010, the Board temporarily suspended without notice the license of Dr. Olmsted after determining that Dr. Olmsted's continuation in the practice of medicine presents a continuing threat to the public welfare. The action was based on Dr. Olmsted's failure to comply with a 2009 agreed order entered into with the Board requiring him to submit to an independent psychiatric evaluation by a Board-appointed psychiatrist within 30 days of the appointment of the psychiatrist and to continue with any treatment recommended by the psychiatrist. The Board found evidence that Dr. Olmsted continues to engage in a pattern of disregard for the 2009 agreed order. The 2009 agreed order followed Dr. Olmsted's 2006 arrest by Dallas police alleging indecency with a child, and a later plea of no contest to a charge of child indecency by contact, a second-degree felony, which required him to register as a sex offender and placed him on deferred adjudication. The Temporary Suspension (Without Notice of Hearing) will remain in effect until the Board takes further action.

Dr. Olmsted pled no contest to sexual abuse, and did not lose his license or go to jail. It appears that if he had shown up for his appointment with a psychiatrist, he would not have lost his license even temporarily.

Khan, Nameem Ullah, M.D., Lic. #L6235, Amarillo TX
On February 5, 2010, the Board and Dr. Khan entered into a mediated agreed order of public reprimand barring Dr. Khan from performing conscious sedation and requiring Dr. Khan to complete a formal education program in conscious sedation within two years; and complete 20 hours of CME in orthopedic emergencies and pain management. The Board's action was based on Dr. Khan's failure to meet the standard of care by use of inappropriate anesthesia agents and procedures for sedation for a patient with a dislocated shoulder. As a result of Dr. Khan's action the patient died.

Dr. Khan apparently did things wrong and killed a patient. Still licensed.

Anabtawi, Isam Nazmi, M.D., Lic. #D5588, Port Arthur TX
On February 5, 2010, the Board and Dr. Anabtawi entered into an agreed order of public reprimand requiring Dr. Anabtawi to complete five hours of CME in ethics within one year and pay an administrative penalty of $8,000. The Board's action was based on Dr. Anabtawi's indictment on 150 felonious counts of health care fraud and, in lieu of trial, entrance into a federal 18-month pretrial diversion program."

It depends on the state licensing board, but yes it is difficult to completely lose your license. This is irrelevant to the comment I made about being dismissed from medical school.

It depends on the state licensing board, but yes it is difficult to completely lose your license. This is irrelevant to the comment I made about being dismissed from medical school.

Its not irrelevant because your reasoning as to "why they care about felonies" should hold true for pre-med, in med, and after license.

Saying "big deal to a profession that is given so much trust by the public" assumes that this would hold true even with a license, but it doesn't...

Its not irrelevant because your reasoning as to "why they care about felonies" should hold true for pre-med, in med, and after license.

Saying "big deal to a profession that is given so much trust by the public" assumes that this would hold true even with a license, but it doesn't...
“It should be” is different than “this is how it is.” Truth is, it’s very hard to lose your license but much easier to be kicked out of school.

Reactions: 1 users

Lol, that’s pretty much a myth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is completely irrelevant to the content of this thread. I don’t disagree with you, but it is a separate issue than what the OP is asking for.

It is completely irrelevant to the content of this thread. I don’t disagree with you, but it is a separate issue than what the OP is asking for.

Its not irrelevant to the content in this thread.

You said " Breaking the law is, you know, a big deal to a profession that is given so much trust by the public."

Therefor, I just pointed out that its actually not a big deal to the profession in its entirety or else the people I quoted would lose their license for substantially breaking the law with felonies.

Its not irrelevant to the content in this thread.

You said " Breaking the law is, you know, a big deal to a profession that is given so much trust by the public."

Therefor, I just pointed out that its actually not a big deal to the profession in its entirety or else the people I quoted would lose their license for substantially breaking the law with felonies.

Yes it absolutely is irrelevant to the thread. Stop derailing it on semantics, and trying to prove some point that I don’t even disagree with. My comment was strictly based on attrition in med school as that is what OP was asking about.

Yes it absolutely is irrelevant to the thread. Stop derailing it on semantics, and trying to prove some point that I don’t even disagree with. My comment was strictly based on attrition in med school as that is what OP was asking about.

Its not semantics, its what you said.

My DO school has an entire department devoted to student success. Makes us suggested study schedules (even in the post bacc program I’m still in), etc to help students do their best. I imagine it changes from school to school but definitely not actively going to let you struggle.

His point was that the criteria used by medical schools and the consequences that follow, when dealing with a medical student caught committing a crime, can vary greatly - in comparison to healthcare professionals whose dealt punishments varied greatly even though the felonies were similar.

He didn't make that very clear, but a closer look and you'll see his point. However the OP was asking about academic struggles in medical school - your analogy made with students committing felonies derailed the conversation.

I know exactly what his point was. I never made an analogy, go read it again. I made a light hearted, slightly facetious comment regarding what it would take to be kicked out of my school and he went off on this random crusade to show that it is a different set of criteria that applies to physician licenses when the actual point of my comment was that if no one gets help when they are struggling it’s because they avoided the help that was offered, that was the rest of my sentence that apparently neither of you decided to read. I suggest reading my comment again if you think I am the one that derailed the thread.