MD Chances/Advice for High Stat Low EC Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GenerationsOfEffort

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

While I am definitely grateful for where I have come today, I feel somewhat lost about how to best perfect my application for medical school. I am a senior at UC Berkeley, planning to apply end of this cycle.

So far, some about me:
3.98 GPA (Chemistry Major)
518 MCAT
Chinese-American from California
Intending to do primary care/family medicine

However, I will be honest and admit my extracurriculars are no where as impressive as many applicants here. I have decent research in medical biology (will publish honors thesis by end of semester), but minimal clinical experience and shadowing. I have a volunteer position at a hospital (prob ~70 hours by the time I apply), and only 15 shadowing hours so far. I have virtually no leadership/awards. Letter of recommendation probably are slightly above average, nothing special.

First of all, what are my chances, assuming I earn a little bit more shadowing hours (~40). All my friends tell me I'm guaranteed into a school, but I'm scared that because of my stats, I'll be scrutinized even more on my extracurriculars. Am I actually more or less guaranteed into a school in the US?

Second, what should be my top priority before I apply in 9 months? Volunteering, shadowing, non-clinical ECs, etc.?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering and shadowing should be your priorities. Try and accumulate 50 hours of shadowing and 200 hours of clinical volunteering.

Do some clinical volunteering. Maybe hospice or hospital volunteering? Food kitchens, for the less fortunate etc. I would recommend applying next year after accumulating many hours. Otherwise I'd say you're a really good applicant