Chances and a few questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephanie210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently pursuing a bachelor degree in science with a concentration in industrial microbiology. I live in Puerto Rico. Am I considered a minority in the Unites States? What is the advantage of this? I have a 3.71 cumulative GPA and a 3.62 in sciences. I'm volunteering in a home for the elderly and I'll start volunteering in a hospital next semester. I'm in a waiting list to do research next year and I'll be applying for internships next summer. I'm fluent in Spanish, English and American sign language. I also got an associate degree in chemical engineering. Got a scholarship from Abbott and a paid internship with them for a few months. The problem is that I withdrew my entire first semester, because my father lost his job and I had no way to get there or to buy books. It was really hard and depressing and I ended up with six ugly W's. Then I got that associate degree and went back to finish what I wanted in the first place (saved enough money for a car and expenses). Everything was fine in the last 2 years, until last semester we went in a 2 month riot (the government wanted to cut almost half of our budget, but that's another story) and everything went downhill. I didn't know where I was standing, so I had to drop 2 courses, got 2 B's in literature and pre calculus 2 (I was repeating since I got a D the first time) and a C in an elective class I didn't even had to take on the first place! Also, I got a C in pre calculus 1 in my second semester and I'm not sure if I'm going to repeat it. The point is that my transcript isn't looking good. I'll start taking less credits this semester so I know my grades will improve, but I'm sure all those things will hunt me in the application/interview process.

Sorry for any typos. :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you focus on getting good grades (mostly A's) moving forward, you will most likely end up with a good GPA by the end of your undergrad. But focus on that first and foremost. All of the other stuff you can work on later. Your grades should be the most important thing right now.

Yes, schools care a lot about grades, but if you improve moving forward, it will be less of an issue, especially if you end up with a good overall GPA in the end.

Being Puerto Rican certainly helps since they need more Puerto Rican doctors. Your chances at one of the PR MD schools are much greater -- is that what you're aiming for?

Reactions: 1 user
If you focus on getting good grades (mostly A's) moving forward, you will most likely end up with a good GPA by the end of your undergrad. But focus on that first and foremost. All of the other stuff you can work on later. Your grades should be the most important thing right now.

Yes, schools care a lot about grades, but if you improve moving forward, it will be less of an issue, especially if you end up with a good overall GPA in the end.

Being Puerto Rican certainly helps since they need more Puerto Rican doctors. Your chances at one of the PR MD schools are much greater -- is that what you're aiming for?
No. I want to move to New Jersey, since my entire family moved and I'm literally by myself in the island.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I'm reading wrong but I see a 3.7 and 3.6 c/sgpa which is fine for Med school. Keep getting good grades. Volunteering looks good and being Puerto Rican helps. I'd say your next battle will be the MCAT. Do better than 508 and I think your chances will be very very good.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Maybe I'm reading wrong but I see a 3.7 and 3.6 c/sgpa which is fine for Med school. Keep getting good grades. Volunteering looks good and being Puerto Rican helps. I'd say your next battle will be the MCAT. Do better than 508 and I think your chances will be very very good.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know. The MCAT scares me so much, but I'll order some books this months to begin studying. I'll keep trying. :)