Chances and advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biotage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I've been reading threads on this forum for a while now, and I'm wondering what my chances are of obtaining an interview in the upcoming application cycle. I'm planning on applying to most of the private schools. I really appreciate any advice you guys have.

I'm an American citizen born abroad - it is kind of complicated to explain, but I've lived in Canada, but still have American rights, SIN and birth certificate, BUT I don't have a resident state.

CDN DAT:
TS = 20
AA = 20
PAT = 21

Undergrad: Bachelor of Chemistry with Honours
oGPA = 3.39
sGPA = 3.35
BCP = 3.47

Masters: Research based in Chemistry
GPA = 3.5

Good extra curricular activities (VP and Pres of clubs, etc), okay volunteering hours (probably 100 documented), low shadowing hours (scheduled to have 42 by application submission), 3 summers of research experience, 3 years TA experience, 4 conference presentations, 2 conference awards and 2 publications.

So what would you say the chances of interview/acceptance would be? Are there any schools that I should apply to that look favorably on research? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading threads on this forum for a while now, and I'm wondering what my chances are of obtaining an interview in the upcoming application cycle. I'm planning on applying to most of the private schools. I really appreciate any advice you guys have.

I'm an American citizen born abroad - it is kind of complicated to explain, but I've lived in Canada, but still have American rights, SIN and birth certificate, BUT I don't have a resident state.

CDN DAT:
TS = 20
AA = 20
PAT = 21

Undergrad: Bachelor of Chemistry with Honours
oGPA = 3.39
sGPA = 3.35
BCP = 3.47

Masters: Research based in Chemistry
GPA = 3.5

Good extra curricular activities (VP and Pres of clubs, etc), okay volunteering hours (probably 100 documented), low shadowing hours (scheduled to have 42 by application submission), 3 summers of research experience, 3 years TA experience, 4 conference presentations, 2 conference awards and 2 publications.

So what would you say the chances of interview/acceptance would be? Are there any schools that I should apply to that look favorably on research? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

In general, research is definitely a nice EC to have. UCSF and Harvard are 2 schools that come to mind that may look upon research more favorably than other schools.

Also, make sure you apply to schools that accept Canadian DAT as well - I am pretty sure not all US schools accept that, so that's something you may need to research on an individual basis.

Other than that, I would say your chances are solid. Apply to a good number of schools and I think you should be able to receive a few interviews at least.

Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestions! You're right, not all schools do accept the CDN DAT. I have made a list of the schools that do accept the CDN DAT and will be applying from that list. I know that Harvard does accept the CDN DAT, but I didn't think that with my undergraduate GPA or my Masters GPA they would give me an interview.