Chances and how should I decide where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byaaaaaaah23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:

36P (11P, 12V, 13B and lol at the P)
3.8 cGPA and sGPA (biochem major)
HYP undergrad applying to enter in Fall 2013 (right after graduation)
CT resident
Standard extracurriculars (12 hrs/week work study, 10 hrs/week research, 4 hrs/week volunteering, some leadership)

I want to apply MD/PhD and I'll have 3 semesters and 2 summers of research experience in 3 different labs as of the end of summer 2012. I transferred, so that's why I've been in so many labs. I was told by one of my advisers that this isn't a particularly strong research track record.

Here is my school list-- I would appreciate suggestions for safety schools as well as how to pare down the list. I really want to go to California and I don't really want to live in NYC, but so many schools there are MSTP, so :shrug:. I don't really want to write this many secondaries though (to say nothing of the price). My SO will be applying for grad schools this year too, so I want to cast a wide net.

Safety:
UConn
Drexel
Penn State
SUNY Upstate
Rush?
UVM

Mid-Reach:
USC
Irvine
UMass (accepts OOS for MD/PhD)
BU?
Temple
UMD
Loyola
Jefferson?
Einstein

Reach (includes MSTPs):
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard
Tufts
Yale
Penn
Rochester
Michigan
Chicago
Northwestern
Illinois
Emory
Vanderbilt
JHU
UVA
Duke
UNC
Washington
Columbia
NYU
MSSM
Cornell
Mayo
Case Western
Wisconsin
Ohio State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UNC hates people who aren't from NC. One of my friends from boston managed to get an interview--and she said the only thing her interviewers wanted to know was "Why the South?". She said that it felt like she was talking to slave-owners. Although that was probably an over exaggeration of how southern it is.

UNC hates people who aren't from NC. One of my friends from boston managed to get an interview--and she said the only thing her interviewers wanted to know was "Why the South?". She said that it felt like she was talking to slave-owners. Although that was probably an over exaggeration of how southern it is.

I'll be applying to the MD/PhD program, so I don't think my state of residence will matter to any of the programs that I listed.