Chances and stats for an MSW program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lillay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So instead of working on my applications I'm sitting in a coffee shop agonizing over my admission chances for fall 2011 MSW programs. Help a girl out and let me know what ya think...

Graduated from a state university with a double major (Sociology and Gender Studies) in 2008.
GPA: 3.87 overall, 3.9 Sociology, 4.0 Gender Studies
Work Experience: 8 years part and full time in education, 4 years full time in an urban, high poverty school.
Recommendations: 3 shining ones...
Life Experience: quirky, raised fundamentalist Christian, home schooled, now queer and a raging liberal... Fun stories. ;)
GRE: awful...first standardized test I'd ever taken... Quantitative: 450, Qualitative: 550, Writing: 4.5

Schools I'm applying to...

San Francisco State
UC Berkeley
University of Washington at Seattle
Portland State University
University of Chicago
University of IL at Chicago
Smith
Columbia
NYU
Boston College
Boston University

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine. MSW programs are not that competitive. Most do not require the GRE. Just write a killer personal statement and you should be fine.

You will be fine. MSW programs are not that competitive. Most do not require the GRE. Just write a killer personal statement and you should be fine.

I will second that. Depending on you personal statement and writing sample, I wouldn't be surprised if you got into all of the above programs.