Chances and Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Science GPA: 3.78
Overall GPA: 3.77
April MCAT: 7P 8V 11B O

I am studying all summer and retaking my MCAT in August to try and drastically improve my score.

EC: lots of shadowing experience; working this summer as a scribe and ER technician at Winchester Medical center; president of Beta Beta Beta biological honors society; vice-president of biology club; member of APO service fraternity; 3-year varsity letter winner for Men's swimming; Teaching Assistant for Systematic Biology; 1 summer working as Research Partner researching the effects of Thalidomide on Embryonic Development; recently returned from a volunteer medical mission trip to rural villages in Belize.

I am just wondering what my chances of being competitive are at an allopathic school if my MCAT increases?
Also, where should I apply? Would you suggest applying ASAP and notify the school of the pending MCAT score, or should I wait until I get my 2nd MCAT back?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

i don;t know if schools will send you secondaries even though you are still waiting for your MCAT score. Maybe someone else here knows, or maybe you should just ask your advisor. a 26 isn't great, but I do know people who have been accepted into their state schools with a 26 and a whole lot less EC's than you have.How are you practice tests going?

science 2.88
nonsci 3.7
overall 3.23
mcat: will take soon, can do 30+
decent lors.

ECs= research, tutor, volunteer, secretary of premed club, worked at docs, shadowed DO for a semester (NYCOm grad) and a DO over the summer (Unecom grad)

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
science 2.88
nonsci 3.7
overall 3.23
mcat: will take soon, can do 30+
decent lors.

ECs= research, tutor, volunteer, secretary of premed club, worked at docs, shadowed DO for a semester (NYCOm grad) and a DO over the summer (Unecom grad)

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Are you applying this year? I think your BCPM could get you screened out, and a postbac would be ideal.....If this is supposed to only be about your chances in DO, I think it would be better to post this in pre-osteopathic.

i don;t know if schools will send you secondaries even though you are still waiting for your MCAT score. Maybe someone else here knows, or maybe you should just ask your advisor. a 26 isn't great, but I do know people who have been accepted into their state schools with a 26 and a whole lot less EC's than you have.How are you practice tests going?
practice tests are going ok...princeton review had told me that my score would increase 8-10 points from their practice tests to the actual test...needless to say that didn't happen.

Science GPA: 3.78
Overall GPA: 3.77
April MCAT: 7P 8V 11B O

I am studying all summer and retaking my MCAT in August to try and drastically improve my score.

EC: lots of shadowing experience; working this summer as a scribe and ER technician at Winchester Medical center; president of Beta Beta Beta biological honors society; vice-president of biology club; member of APO service fraternity; 3-year varsity letter winner for Men's swimming; Teaching Assistant for Systematic Biology; 1 summer working as Research Partner researching the effects of Thalidomide on Embryonic Development; recently returned from a volunteer medical mission trip to rural villages in Belize.

I am just wondering what my chances of being competitive are at an allopathic school if my MCAT increases?
Also, where should I apply? Would you suggest applying ASAP and notify the school of the pending MCAT score, or should I wait until I get my 2nd MCAT back?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

If your MCAT increases to 30+ I think you have a great chance at an allopathic school... you have a competitive GPA and great ECs.

About when you should apply... a 26 is low, but if schools see that you're retaking the MCAT this cycle, they might hold off on your application to see what you scored, especially since your GPA & ECs are impressive. Some schools screen applicants based on MCAT scores and GPA, though, so submitting your application with a 26 might not work too well for those schools.

That being said, I'm not really sure what you should do. I guess if you're positive you can really improve your MCAT score, then submit the apps before receiving your score. Your practice test scores are a good indicator of how you'll do... are you showing any improvement?? Best of luck! :luck:

Are you a Florida resident?

It's going to be tough for you to get into an Allopathic school, not just with a 26 but with one section score of 8 and another of 7. You'll be competitive if you can get your score up to 30+ with no section less than 9.

Some schools might give you some leeway, but they get so many applications that they may just reject you or not get back to your application for a long time. I say apply, retake the MCAT hoping for a better score and see what happens. You can notify the schools of your situation; hopefully, they'll place your file on hold and you can inform them once your August scores have been released. It's going to be tough, but there's no reason not to try. If your August MCAT scores don't improve much, you can take them again (with more time to prep) and apply next year. Good luck!