1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chances at a DO school/Carib?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by toast861, Jan 2, 2009.

1. toast861

toast861 Carpetbagger
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey there. I'm in my Junior year and getting ready to apply this next cycle. I just switched my major to biology/pre-med about a year ago, and due to some academic...ur...indiscretions, my GPA is hovering around 3.0. If I retake the three or four classes I didn't do so hot in, (which I'm planning on doing during Summer I semester), I estimate my GPA will be up around 3.3. What would I need to score in my MCATs in order to have a decent shot at a DO or Carib MD school? I'm aiming for around a 30-32. Other ECs are:

CNA at Major Medical Ctr for 2 yrs (current)
    2 yrs full-time volunteer mission work in New Orleans
    Shadowing MD & DO < 120 hours (including clinic, rounds, & surgery)
    Teach Youth Group for 3+ yrs

Also, what schools would be good to apply to? My #1 school is AZCOM. Is that possible?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    24+ for DO
    Name your price for Carib.

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Caribbean MD - St. George may be a stretch.

DO - stats are up. I would say a 25-26 at least...

5. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

If you get in your target range of 30-32, you will be more than fine for DO schools. If you get 26+ you stand a decent shot. For carib, all you need to do is take the MCAT and youll be fine.

If you wanna stay on the west coast, definitely apply to Western U. You could also apply to Touro-NV or Touro-CA, but I'd go to either azcom or western before either of the Touros.

6. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

If you haven't seen it, here is a link to the list of all osteopathic schools and the requirements for each: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2009/2009_CIB_web.pdf

I read recently that 2006-2007 AACOMA data shows the average stats for all accepted students are cGPA 3.45 and MCAT 25.5.

7. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Let's try to keep this from sliding into a complete bash fest ...

I personally believe that with a 3.3 and a 32 you'd be good for DO, Caribbean, and some lower-tier US MD - especially state schools. However, it goes basically without saying that projecting a score on the MCAT is usually fairly inaccurate. Do all that you can for now, then when you have the GPA, MCAT and ECs done and ready to be put down on paper ... ask about analyzing chances. Until then ... just work as hard as you can to get everything high!! Good luck.

8. Keep in mind that OP's GPA will not translate to a 3.3 for MD. I agree with the rest.

9. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh you're right, I didn't even think about that.

10. toast861

toast861 Carpetbagger
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I know I don't have a shot at MD. Summer of my Freshman year, way before medical school EVER entered my mind, I slacked off and got an F in Spanish and some math class- Algebra 2, I think. While there is no excuse, I got married that summer (I was 23, delayed school for two years of mission work in New Orleans) and those classes didn't mean much to me. Now it's coming back to bite me in the butt. Couple that with a D+ in a Physics lab (my wife was having an emergency C-Section during finals, but I retook with an A), and my MD dreams are pretty much that...just dreams.