Chances at a DO school/Carib?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toast861

Carpetbagger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm in my Junior year and getting ready to apply this next cycle. I just switched my major to biology/pre-med about a year ago, and due to some academic...ur...indiscretions, my GPA is hovering around 3.0. If I retake the three or four classes I didn't do so hot in, (which I'm planning on doing during Summer I semester), I estimate my GPA will be up around 3.3. What would I need to score in my MCATs in order to have a decent shot at a DO or Carib MD school? I'm aiming for around a 30-32. Other ECs are:

CNA at Major Medical Ctr for 2 yrs (current)
2 yrs full-time volunteer mission work in New Orleans
Shadowing MD & DO < 120 hours (including clinic, rounds, & surgery)
Teach Youth Group for 3+ yrs

Also, what schools would be good to apply to? My #1 school is AZCOM. Is that possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there. I'm in my Junior year and getting ready to apply this next cycle. I just switched my major to biology/pre-med about a year ago, and due to some academic...ur...indiscretions, my GPA is hovering around 3.0. If I retake the three or four classes I didn't do so hot in, (which I'm planning on doing during Summer I semester), I estimate my GPA will be up around 3.3. What would I need to score in my MCATs in order to have a decent shot at a DO or Carib MD school? I'm aiming for around a 30-32. Other ECs are:

CNA at Major Medical Ctr for 2 yrs (current)
2 yrs full-time volunteer mission work in New Orleans
Shadowing MD & DO < 120 hours (including clinic, rounds, & surgery)
Teach Youth Group for 3+ yrs

Also, what schools would be good to apply to? My #1 school is AZCOM. Is that possible?

If you get in your target range of 30-32, you will be more than fine for DO schools. If you get 26+ you stand a decent shot. For carib, all you need to do is take the MCAT and youll be fine.

If you wanna stay on the west coast, definitely apply to Western U. You could also apply to Touro-NV or Touro-CA, but I'd go to either azcom or western before either of the Touros.

Let's try to keep this from sliding into a complete bash fest ...

I personally believe that with a 3.3 and a 32 you'd be good for DO, Caribbean, and some lower-tier US MD - especially state schools. However, it goes basically without saying that projecting a score on the MCAT is usually fairly inaccurate. Do all that you can for now, then when you have the GPA, MCAT and ECs done and ready to be put down on paper ... ask about analyzing chances. Until then ... just work as hard as you can to get everything high!! Good luck.

Let's try to keep this from sliding into a complete bash fest ...

I personally believe that with a 3.3 and a 32 you'd be good for DO, Caribbean, and some lower-tier US MD - especially state schools. However, it goes basically without saying that projecting a score on the MCAT is usually fairly inaccurate. Do all that you can for now, then when you have the GPA, MCAT and ECs done and ready to be put down on paper ... ask about analyzing chances. Until then ... just work as hard as you can to get everything high!! Good luck.

Keep in mind that OP's GPA will not translate to a 3.3 for MD. I agree with the rest.

Yeah, I know I don't have a shot at MD. Summer of my Freshman year, way before medical school EVER entered my mind, I slacked off and got an F in Spanish and some math class- Algebra 2, I think. While there is no excuse, I got married that summer (I was 23, delayed school for two years of mission work in New Orleans) and those classes didn't mean much to me. Now it's coming back to bite me in the butt. Couple that with a D+ in a Physics lab (my wife was having an emergency C-Section during finals, but I retook with an A), and my MD dreams are pretty much that...just dreams.