Chances at admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

baylor21

I wanted to ask your opinions on several things about getting admitted. I am contemplating applying on the early decision program to University of Oklahoma Med School since I'm an Oklahoma resident, but then again I'm not sure if I want to do this because it will force me to go there if they accept me. Getting in anywhere is the most important thing, but I don't want to sell myself short either. So if you would give me some feedback as far as what caliber of med school you think I could get accepted to, I would appreciate it.

My GPA is 3.85 in electrical engineering and MCAT scores are Verbal: 11, Physical Sciences: 11, Biology: 9, and Writing: R. Primarily outside of school I work about 35 hours a week in a hospital as an EKG tech. and phlebotomist.

I realize that my biology score is low, but I'm not sure how badly that is going to hurt me. Do you think that O.U. is my only shot, or do I have a chance at some other schools? Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are actually quite good. (above most school's averages). Give it a shot and apply to early decision.

As a fellow Oklahoman that will be applying to OU, I'm pretty sure that OU does not have an early decision for the med school. OU actually starts rather late in the interviewing process, meaning they start in November rather than most med schools that will start in September. You can definitely get into some other med schools with your stats. OU Med school is quite impressive, facilities are amazing. Don't sell yourself short, apply to some better schools if you want. Otherwise, OU will be a great place to be for 4 years (You get Bob Stoops & Co.) :D

baylor21 said:
I am contemplating applying on the early decision program to University of Oklahoma Med School since I'm an Oklahoma resident, but then again I'm not sure if I want to do this because it will force me to go there if they accept me. Getting in anywhere is the most important thing, but I don't want to sell myself short either.

Wait a sec - Isnt being forced to go to your early decision school the point of applying? You know exactly what school you want to go to and you feel you have a good shot of getting in - so you apply early decision. I feel that if your not sure that Oklahoma is the school for you, and you want a shot at applying to "better" schools, then go the normal application route. You have a very good GPA and a competitive MCAT (depending on the school); go for it!