Chances at an American MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tritoneye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just finished undergrad a quarter early and I'm applying this June to MD schools. Any advice on my chances, which schools to apply to, and what else I can improve before I apply will be helpful. Thanks.

California resident
Undergrad: UCSD, human bio major, 3.65 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA
MCAT: 11 PS, 9 V, 11 BS = 31Q

ECs
-Volunteering in VA hospital and student health services for 100+ hours (taking vitals etc.)
-Neuroscience research for one year with name on a presentation poster
-Shadowed an opthalmologist and heart surgeon for about 30 hours.

-Teaching assistant for evolutionary bio
-Student council for 3 years
-National Member of AED prehealth honor society and volunteer chair and social chair for 2 years
-Tutor at a middle school for about 50 hours
-Member of an ambassador group for UCSD
-Student Health Advocate (give info on practicing safe sex, contraceptive methods, hold outreaches, etc.)
-Orientation leader for 2 years

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, def. buy a copy of the most up to date MSAR, apply to most if not all schools that are within your striking range (aka private schools or public schools that are friendly to OOS applicants). Since you are from CA, it will be harder for you but if you apply broadly (20+), you should at least get interviews, once you are at that stage, you'll need to nail them. I had slightly less ECs compared to you with a bit higher GPA and a 32 MCAT. I applied to 25 schools and had 4 interviews. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'm planning to apply to 20-30 schools. Also, is the MSAR necessary when choosing schools or can you go by the LizzyM spreadsheet?

Thanks. I'm planning to apply to 20-30 schools. Also, is the MSAR necessary when choosing schools or can you go by the LizzyM spreadsheet?

You can generally go by the spreadsheet if its the most updated. But the MSAR has ALOT of useful information so I guess its up to you.

Have you seen that spreadsheet lately?

You look to have a very good application in all respects, except that I'd want to see more shadowing before you submit, ideally of a primary care doc, for maybe 20-30 hours if you could manage it.

Be sure to include UIllinois and Rosalind Frankilin, both very friendly to Californians.

With a LizzyM score of 68.5 consider researching:

66/ MSU,
67/VirginiaCommonwealth, EVMS, Drexel, NYMC, Tulane, UIllinois, Rush, GWU, 68/Temple, Toledo, Buffalo, Loyola, Loma Linda,
69/MCW, UVermont, Jefferson, SUNY Upstate, UCentral Florida, Albany, Creighton, Wayne, Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown,
70/UWisconsin, PennState, Wake, UNCarolina, SUNY Upstate, SLU, UMinnesota, UIowa, UMiami,
71/UCincinnati, Boston

As well as any state schools whose mission fits your experience.

Thanks catalystik. Does the MSAR tell you how many students got in from each state, such as CA? I was wondering how you got this information and if there were any other schools that were friendly to Californians. :)

If you can also start some more community service before you apply and update schools on your continued effort in the app process that would be great. Unless you forgot to list it, it appears that you are severely lacking in this area which could really hurt you. Hospital volunteering is considered clinical experience, not community service. Tutoring for 50 hours is great, but if you are only going to have one community service activity on your app, you need to have logged serious hours in it. Good luck.

If you can also start some more community service before you apply and update schools on your continued effort in the app process that would be great. Unless you forgot to list it, it appears that you are severely lacking in this area which could really hurt you. Hospital volunteering is considered clinical experience, not community service. Tutoring for 50 hours is great, but if you are only going to have one community service activity on your app, you need to have logged serious hours in it. Good luck. Other than that, your app is great. Like others said though, appl broadly because being a CA resident is to your disadvantage.

Does the MSAR tell you how many students got in from each state, such as CA? I was wondering how you got this information and if there were any other schools that were friendly to Californians. :)
The MSAR does tell you how many OOS students are accepted to each med school, but not specifically what state they are from. I know Illinois schools that are California friendly due to knowing people I can ask about % of students from California (since I live in Illinois). I've heard MCW is good for Ca folks too.

Thanks everyone. I'm currently shadowing a primary care physician weekly and I will try to get more community service hours in. Would doing community service with my religious group count?

Thanks everyone. I'm currently shadowing a primary care physician weekly and I will try to get more community service hours in. Would doing community service with my religious group count?

Definetely.

Make sure you research the schools thoroughly. Everyone knows Cali students apply all over the country, so make sure schools know they aren't just included as part of a blanket effort. (even if they really are) I interview many people from Cali, and the ones that act as though coming to Michigan would be about as pleasant as shooting themselves don't tend to make me want to write pretty words about them to the committee.

Of course you have a chance. IF you can retake the MCAT, you should. Its not required though. You can still get in with those scores. Be sure to apply broadly!

Hey guys. This is my school list so far. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Reach
UCSD, UCI, UC Davis, UCLA, USC, Boston, Iowa, SLU

Hopefully these are a fit
Loma Linda
Rosalind Franklin
U Illinois
Creighton
GWU (cousin lives in DC)
Buffalo
Nebraska
NYMC
SUNY Downstate