Chances at Berkeley or SUNY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungduma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! What are my chances at Berkeley and SUNY with a GPA of 3.4 and OAT scores of 400TS/380AA. Unfortunately, my extracurricular in undergrad is not that great but I have been working in an optometric office within this last year. Also, is this considered late in the cycle for Fall 2018? Any advice is truly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I had similar stats 10 years ago and got rejected by Berkeley. You just need to convince them in the interview what you know about optometry and that you are committed to practicing optometry. I didn't convey that as well as they wanted and was asked to reply again the year after. I ended up going to my 2nd choice school which ended up being very comfortable, but I still wonder what things would've been like at Berkeley.

No, not late.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure about SUNY, but Berkeley doesn't do rolling admissions so you're on track for them.

I agree with what was said above regarding the interview - stats won't matter as much once an interview is extended. At that point, it's nearly 50/50 and your ability to be personable is important. It also helps if you've shown interest by visiting the school during a Friday Visit or making an effort to reach out to the admissions staff to have questions answered, etc.

As for your stats, as long as you have decent LORs and essay, you'll likely be extended an interview.

Thanks for replying guys! I'll heed your advice and reach out the admission staff. Thanks again.