Chances at higher tier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okazaki Frag Grenade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sure if you score 97th+ percentile on MCAT you should have a shot at some "upper-tier" schools. But even then it will still be hard to get in to those prestigious schools. You're ECs and GPA are fine. I applied this past cycle with a 4.0/36 with good ECs so I know how hard it is to get in to even mid-tier schools. Applied to 11 schools and got outright rejected by 7 of them (pre-interview) and then currently waitlisted at 2 schools in the top 20 and accepted into one in the top 40 and then to a new med school in which I declined my acceptance. You'll get to the point where it is just about getting into a decent MD school.... It doesn't really matter where you go.... But yeah you'll have a shot at some top schools if you kill the mcat but even then it is hard to get into out of state schools in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I totally get that the mid to upper tier schools are somewhat of a crapshoot just because there are so many well qualified applicants. I will be pumped to get in anywhere! Thanks for the reply.

Yes.

So here's my question, which obviously rests on a MASSIVE what if. But, IF I can pull off an MCAT around 35+ (this is my first attempt), do my ECs seem to be a good fit for mid/upper tier schools?

Duke, Case, Pitt, NW, Emory, Cornell, Columbia, BU, NYU, Mt Sinai, JHU and their ilk.

If so, suggestions? Areas to improve? I want to go in being as open-minded as possible and not be arrogant, and also don't want to waste the money if there are glaring holes that need to be addressed. I'm more just looking for feedback on the ECs. Thank you much![/QUOTE]

Similar story here. Applied to 20 schools with a 4.0/38 this cycle. Rejected outright at 14 (top, mid, and lower ranks). 6 interviews; wait listed at 3 (2 in top 20) programs, accepted to 3 schools I (arrogantly) originally thought would be "safety schools." Recently was admitted off one of those top 20 waitlists and withdrew from the other. Realized the concept of safety schools doesn't apply well in med school apps.

As @DaMedDude said, getting a good score will help, but it assures nothing. I would suggest you focus more on how that would increase your (already great) chances of admission to any school, and less on whether you would become "qualified" for a top program.

Anyway, to focus on your original question — your ECs look solid. That's more significant research than what many manage. "Top" programs tend to favor research, but whether you talk about it a lot in your app depends how important that is to you. If your work is central to your interest, make that clear in your app. If research is not that important to you, then you'll need to examine what to highlight in your app that will differentiate you from others in the eyes of the adcoms and tell them why the thing you're saying is important, is important.

Yeah I see what you're saying. My goal is to be as realistic as possible going into this process so these kind of experiences are really good to hear about. Obviously would love to get a great MCAT score but I know that it won't guarantee anything in the long run. Congrats on your acceptance by the way!

Yes.

So here's my question, which obviously rests on a MASSIVE what if. But, IF I can pull off an MCAT around 35+ (this is my first attempt), do my ECs seem to be a good fit for mid/upper tier schools?

Duke, Case, Pitt, NW, Emory, Cornell, Columbia, BU, NYU, Mt Sinai, JHU and their ilk.

If so, suggestions? Areas to improve? I want to go in being as open-minded as possible and not be arrogant, and also don't want to waste the money if there are glaring holes that need to be addressed. I'm more just looking for feedback on the ECs. Thank you much!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks @Goro ! I appreciate the feedback

Sure if you score 97th+ percentile on MCAT you should have a shot at some "upper-tier" schools. But even then it will still be hard to get in to those prestigious schools. You're ECs and GPA are fine. I applied this past cycle with a 4.0/36 with good ECs so I know how hard it is to get in to even mid-tier schools. Applied to 11 schools and got outright rejected by 7 of them (pre-interview) and then currently waitlisted at 2 schools in the top 20 and accepted into one in the top 40 and then to a new med school in which I declined my acceptance. You'll get to the point where it is just about getting into a decent MD school.... It doesn't really matter where you go.... But yeah you'll have a shot at some top schools if you kill the mcat but even then it is hard to get into out of state schools in general.

Similar story here. Applied to 20 schools with a 4.0/38 this cycle. Rejected outright at 14 (top, mid, and lower ranks). 6 interviews; wait listed at 3 (2 in top 20) programs, accepted to 3 schools I (arrogantly) originally thought would be "safety schools." Recently was admitted off one of those top 20 waitlists and withdrew from the other. Realized the concept of safety schools doesn't apply well in med school apps.

As @DaMedDude said, getting a good score will help, but it assures nothing. I would suggest you focus more on how that would increase your (already great) chances of admission to any school, and less on whether you would become "qualified" for a top program.

Anyway, to focus on your original question — your ECs look solid. That's more significant research than what many manage. "Top" programs tend to favor research, but whether you talk about it a lot in your app depends how important that is to you. If your work is central to your interest, make that clear in your app. If research is not that important to you, then you'll need to examine what to highlight in your app that will differentiate you from others in the eyes of the adcoms and tell them why the thing you're saying is important, is important.

Would you guys mind sharing your school lists? Even if privately?

I too am battling the idea of applying to only mid to top tier while also being realistic in my school list. But as a Canadian applicant, I really want to only apply to schools that if accepted I would go to because of the fit and the program itself.

I'm having a tough time crossing HMS and Yale and UPenn off my list, but those fees and that time on secondaries may be better off spent on applications to Tulane or Virginia or Kentucky etc.

Would you guys mind sharing your school lists? Even if privately?

I too am battling the idea of applying to only mid to top tier while also being realistic in my school list. But as a Canadian applicant, I really want to only apply to schools that if accepted I would go to because of the fit and the program itself.

I'm having a tough time crossing HMS and Yale and UPenn off my list, but those fees and that time on secondaries may be better off spent on applications to Tulane or Virginia or Kentucky etc.
Sure

IU, OSU, Dartmouth, MCW, Jeff, Drexel, Temple, Louisville, Western Mich., Loyola, Tufts.

Got into IU and Western Mich (but withdrew from WMed) and waitlisted at Dartmouth and still waiting to hear back from OSU (post-interview). Rejected pre-interview by all other schools.

Note: I wanted to apply to more schools and I know my list was bad but it was all I could afford and I didn't understand the system when I first applied....I would do a totally different list if I could do it over again.

Sure

IU, OSU, Dartmouth, MCW, Jeff, Drexel, Temple, Louisville, Western Mich., Loyola, Tufts.

Got into IU and Western Mich (but withdrew from WMed) and waitlisted at Dartmouth and still waiting to hear back from OSU (post-interview). Rejected pre-interview by all other schools.

Note: I wanted to apply to more schools and I know my list was bad but it was all I could afford and I didn't understand the system when I first applied....I would do a totally different list if I could do it over again.

Is there such a thing as "overqualified?" At first glance it seems your stats were above averages for most of these, so did they assume you'd end up matriculating at a different school? Not sure if that's a thing though.

Is there such a thing as "overqualified?" At first glance it seems your stats were above averages for most of these, so did they assume you'd end up matriculating at a different school? Not sure if that's a thing though.

I've heard this too, for example those with 36+, 3.9+ are unlikely to be offered spots at Rosalind Franklin because the school assumes they will matriculate elsewhere, whether it's an applicants first choice or not... this can put you in a weird grey area of too qualified for the bottom half of the top 40 and under qualified for the top half.

@DaMedDude what would you do differently?

Sure. I have a public MDapps account (link in my profile I think, if you want details), but I'll try to remember off the top of my head:
----------

I think I'm forgetting one hahaha. Anyway, as you can see, the range of where you get interviewed/admitted/rejected can be all over the board. Not all "low" will interview, not all "high" will reject.

Based on my experience, I would recommend simply applying to a range that appeal for you whatever the reason (e.g. in my case geographic location was one factor) and go for it.

Damn. Just looked over your MDapps, I was secondhand humbled just going over your experience... I think I'll have to think long and hard about how competitive I really am at some of these top 20 schools, weigh my options and just apply to places.

Thanks man, good luck at Pitt, it's definitely a place I'm looking forward to applying to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
yeah it is totally a thing. Similar story to other friends who applied with these stats but friends with lower stats had better outcomes at these schools. It's important to apply to schools that match your stats

Last edited:
I've heard this too, for example those with 36+, 3.9+ are unlikely to be offered spots at Rosalind Franklin because the school assumes they will matriculate elsewhere, whether it's an applicants first choice or not... this can put you in a weird grey area of too qualified for the bottom half of the top 40 and under qualified for the top half.

@DaMedDude what would you do differently?
I agree with this. I think the best way to go no matter what your stats are is to apply to OOS schools that match your stats and of course all in state schools. Also apply to all nearby schools that you are interested in....even if the school is OOS but only like a state over. For instance I am from the Midwest and it seems like applicants here have a much better shot at schools like MCW, university of cinci, OSU, etc than east or west coast schools with comparable stats, OOS%'s, and # of applicants. So I would definitely apply to all nearby schools and OOS schools that match your stats and have high OOS student body %. Even if some of those schools don't seem too exciting for you right now, apply anyways and give the school a chance...you never really know until you interview...it's all about having more options. Idk if that was helpful at all....most of this is coming from personal experience and what has been happening with all the ppl I know that applied as well. But even on sdn...I think you start seeing a trend of this.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @DaMedDude. That is good advice moving forward for narrowing down school lists. Good thing this process isn't scary and stressful at all :rofl:

I'm gonna bump this thread as I got prelim percentiles today. They are as follows:

Chem: 85 - 100
Cars: 85 - 100
Bio: 72 - 87
Psych: 85 - 100
Overall: 90 - 100

I'm assuming based off of April/May testers that this will be at least a 515/516 (as almost all of them scored at least in the 93/94 percentile, if not higher). Do y'all, especially the wise @Goro , agree that the previous school list still holds true? Thanks!

Also want to add that I have a healthy dose of low/mid tier schools submitted in AMCAS as well, as I don't want to go top heavy.

Thinking conservatively, I suggest:

U AZ (both)
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC
Tulane
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.
Your state school(s).
Any DO program

I'm gonna bump this thread as I got prelim percentiles today. They are as follows:

Chem: 85 - 100
Cars: 85 - 100
Bio: 72 - 87
Psych: 85 - 100
Overall: 90 - 100

I'm assuming based off of April/May testers that this will be at least a 515/516 (as almost all of them scored at least in the 93/94 percentile, if not higher). Do y'all, especially the wise @Goro , agree that the previous school list still holds true? Thanks!

Also want to add that I have a healthy dose of low/mid tier schools submitted in AMCAS as well, as I don't want to go top heavy.

Thank you for the list! Just clarifying, are these in addition to the higher tier ones you mentioned above, or replacing those?