Chances at McKinsey - MD/PharmD/MBA/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to see if I can get some advice. The other threads didn’t have exactly what I was looking for. I’m exploring my options and if I apply, it will be in a couple years. Here is my profile by the time I apply:

Education:

MD/PharmD/MBA (all state school)
MPH (Harvard, 2021)
Possible executive MBA at ivy (top 10; basically given to me due to combined fellowship)

Experience:

Future attending physician/admin fellowship (1-2 years at top 10 hospital)

Current Residency (3 years at hospital associated with top 20 university)

Pharmacy (11 years total at Walgreens - 4 FT pharmacist, 3 PRN pharmacist, 4 PRN technician)

Future goal is to become CEO or CMO of major healthcare system.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you'd have a very good chance at getting invited for the interview process when you apply based on those stats. But everything after that point is based on what happens during the interview, rather than your credentials. And the interviews typically involve consulting-type cases and sometimes a multiple-choice question, in addition to the regular behavioral interview questions. So it's difficult to say what your chances are. I recommend that you try out some practice cases on your own to see how comfortable you are with them.

For C suite at a large hospital system, you will need an MBA and 10 years or so of clinical leadership experience, ie: director, chair, vice chair, CMO at a small hospital or smaller system. Good luck. Have that and you have all the credentials you’ll need.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about to start my final year of residency. I'm planning on applying for management consulting associate roles this coming cycle.

Any interest in chatting to share experiences ? Would be good to talk with someone on a similar path. Pm me.

Trying to see if I can get some advice. The other threads didn’t have exactly what I was looking for. I’m exploring my options and if I apply, it will be in a couple years. Here is my profile by the time I apply:

Education:

MD/PharmD/MBA (all state school)
MPH (Harvard, 2021)
Possible executive MBA at ivy (top 10; basically given to me due to combined fellowship)

Experience:

Future attending physician/admin fellowship (1-2 years at top 10 hospital)

Current Residency (3 years at hospital associated with top 20 university)

Pharmacy (11 years total at Walgreens - 4 FT pharmacist, 3 PRN pharmacist, 4 PRN technician)

Future goal is to become CEO or CMO of major healthcare system.

I had an interview with McK APD right out of med school even before residency. I was from a state school in undergrad and an international med school.
So OP definitely has overkill in terms of credentials.
Everyone else who was interviewing was doing a Masters in Healthcare Admin.
The interview consisted of two cases studies in a group; and then a written test afterwards.
One of the managers interviewing us that day was a Harvard trained pediatrician.

I had an interview with McK APD right out of med school even before residency. I was from a state school in undergrad and an international med school.

Lucky you, I just applied and didn't even get an interview. I applied right out of medical school right before residency. I had top grades and >20 publications. State school for undergrad and medical school, albeit not a target school.

I have no idea what they're looking for... I think I was also one of the few applying with an MD. Odd.

What sort of salary would one expect as a McKinsey associate with those credentials?

Reactions: 1 user