Chances at Orthopedic Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonezBonezBonez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
looks like according to this document about 32% of ortho applicants (matched and unmatched) were AOA. I believe that the percent of matched with AOA is a bit higher. Note that many top schools don’t have AOA so the number may be on the high side.

That being said, why not just apply to ortho and then gen surg as a backup?
That's the plan for now, but at this point I wanted to know if I should really even bother (as demoralizing as that might sound)

Members don't see this ad :)
May not mean much coming from a fellow med student, but I definitely think you should at least try.

Will you be able to get both GS and ORtho letters

Fellow student here. I mean at a glance your application looks good to me. Mean step 2 match score for 2022 was a 256 which puts you in the competitive range. You also have very good research so I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive. As far as the class rank thing goes, who really cares about that. The standardized test of step I and step II give a lot more information and you scored in roughly the 75th percentile amongst all students which holds far more weight in my opinion. Give it a shot and apply something as a backup because ortho is just so competitive and there are lots of stellar applicants.

Impossible to gauge at start of research year. The whole point of taking this year is to find mentorship and make connections. If you can do that, I think you can be successful, but you’ve got to have some honest conversations with the mentors you find

Reactions: 1 user
find a mentor in ortho outside of your school. plan on 3-4 away rotations at places where you think you could match and crush those rotations. connections are a huge factor. GL.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.