MD Shot at General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redoot

Reaction score
My school has a 1.5 year preclinical & 10 month clinical which I just finished (technically an M4 now). So I won't be applying for another couple of months. I thought through medical school I wanted to do IM, but fell in love with surgery during my final rotation. I wanted to know what my chances are now that I've taken step I & step II. Here are my stats & extracurriculars:

Top 30 medical school
Step I: P
Step II: 246
Rotations: All P's. No honors or HP's.
Research: 1 first author publication, 1 middle author publication. 4 abstracts. 9 posters/presentations/case reports. All are IM related.
Extracurriculars: Leadership in two clubs at my school. 2 organizations I have been volunteering with since M1.

I'm not looking to do fellowship. So I'm really just looking to match somewhere!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll match, target programs consistent with your app with a few reaches and you’ll do just fine. Apply to places that fit your career goals as well.

My school has a 1.5 year preclinical & 10 month clinical which I just finished (technically an M4 now). So I won't be applying for another couple of months. I thought through medical school I wanted to do IM, but fell in love with surgery during my final rotation. I wanted to know what my chances are now that I've taken step I & step II. Here are my stats & extracurriculars:

Top 30 medical school
Step I: P
Step II: 246
Rotations: All P's. No honors or HP's.
Research: 1 first author publication, 1 middle author publication. 4 abstracts. 9 posters/presentations/case reports. All are IM related.
Extracurriculars: Leadership in two clubs at my school. 2 organizations I have been volunteering with since M1.

I'm not looking to do fellowship. So I'm really just looking to match somewhere!
And therein lies the problem.

I matched into a categorical General Surgery position many years ago. Since surgery is a grueling residency, they want to rank candidates who they enjoy spending time with. So personality/fit becomes a big issue. If you come across as eager, friendly and wanting to do the best, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users