MD Shot at General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Redoot

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school has a 1.5 year preclinical & 10 month clinical which I just finished (technically an M4 now). So I won't be applying for another couple of months. I thought through medical school I wanted to do IM, but fell in love with surgery during my final rotation. I wanted to know what my chances are now that I've taken step I & step II. Here are my stats & extracurriculars:

Top 30 medical school
Step I: P
Step II: 246
Rotations: All P's. No honors or HP's.
Research: 1 first author publication, 1 middle author publication. 4 abstracts. 9 posters/presentations/case reports. All are IM related.
Extracurriculars: Leadership in two clubs at my school. 2 organizations I have been volunteering with since M1.

I'm not looking to do fellowship. So I'm really just looking to match somewhere!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You’ll match, target programs consistent with your app with a few reaches and you’ll do just fine. Apply to places that fit your career goals as well.
 
My school has a 1.5 year preclinical & 10 month clinical which I just finished (technically an M4 now). So I won't be applying for another couple of months. I thought through medical school I wanted to do IM, but fell in love with surgery during my final rotation. I wanted to know what my chances are now that I've taken step I & step II. Here are my stats & extracurriculars:

Top 30 medical school
Step I: P
Step II: 246
Rotations: All P's. No honors or HP's.
Research: 1 first author publication, 1 middle author publication. 4 abstracts. 9 posters/presentations/case reports. All are IM related.
Extracurriculars: Leadership in two clubs at my school. 2 organizations I have been volunteering with since M1.

I'm not looking to do fellowship. So I'm really just looking to match somewhere!
And therein lies the problem.
 
I matched into a categorical General Surgery position many years ago. Since surgery is a grueling residency, they want to rank candidates who they enjoy spending time with. So personality/fit becomes a big issue. If you come across as eager, friendly and wanting to do the best, you'll be fine.