MD Chances at PM&R after shooting myself in the foot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmk21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US DO just got my scores back for step 2 with a 229. Huge drop as I had a 235 on step 1 and 520 level 1. Still waiting for level 2 results but got a pass on PE. Thoughts on my chances for PM&R? I was hoping for a residency that might help me for a fellowship afterwards as well.

Had lots of research, and will have letters in PM&R and internal. But feel like it’s late in the game now and aside from broadly applying (since I’m not region limited) not sure what to do next.

Thoughts on how screwed I am now based on my situation and any thoughts on next steps/recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

US DO just got my scores back for step 2 with a 229. Huge drop as I had a 235 on step 1 and 520 level 1. Still waiting for level 2 results but got a pass on PE. Thoughts on my chances for PM&R? I was hoping for a residency that might help me for a fellowship afterwards as well.

Had lots of research, and will have letters in PM&R and internal. But feel like it’s late in the game now and aside from broadly applying (since I’m not region limited) not sure what to do next.

Thoughts on how screwed I am now based on my situation and any thoughts on next steps/recommendations?

I think you're still in decent shape if the rest of your app is solid. Your step 1 is above the average for matched applicants and PM&R seems relatively forgiving of low board scores. You should be able to spin the pandemic as a reason for the drop on step 2, especially if you had to reschedule.

I think you're still in decent shape if the rest of your app is solid. Your step 1 is above the average for matched applicants and PM&R seems relatively forgiving of low board scores. You should be able to spin the pandemic as a reason for the drop on step 2, especially if you had to reschedule.

Disclaimer: I'm not in PMR, but please, please, please, please don't "spin the pandemic as a reason for the drop on Step 2." That has the ick factor to the extreme and if an applicant did that with me, it would not leave a good impression.

Regarding your scores -- 235 to 229 is not that serious. It isn't like you went from a 250 to a 229. Stop stressing about your scores. You're fine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I'm not in PMR, but please, please, please, please don't "spin the pandemic as a reason for the drop on Step 2." That has the ick factor to the extreme and if an applicant did that with me, it would not leave a good impression.

Regarding your scores -- 235 to 229 is not that serious. It isn't like you went from a 250 to a 229. Stop stressing about your scores. You're fine.

I agree that people shouldn't just blame COVID and not take responsibility for their score, but there are a lot of people who were legitimately affected. For instance, having their exam cancelled multiple times and having to take it during an audition rotation. I think it is worthwhile to mention things like that as a reason they scored lower.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that people shouldn't just blame COVID and not take responsibility for their score, but there are a lot of people who were legitimately affected. For instance, having their exam cancelled multiple times and having to take it during an audition rotation. I think it is worthwhile to mention things like that as a reason they scored lower.

Excuses mean nothing, especially with a 6-point score drop. You're overthinking it and going from no one caring to shooting yourself in the foot by making excuses. People lost their homes and relocated to homeless shelters in COVID. They lost their loved ones. If that happened to you, by all means, say something. But reduced study time because you were on an audition rotation due to COVID causing a 6-point drop is a. not worth mentioning and b. will likely hurt you more than the drop itself.

Think of it like this: people have had their Steps postponed for all kinds of reasons in the past - a hurricane, an illness, a family emergency, you name it. In any of those cases, would you actually put that in your personal statement? "I would have scored higher, but my test date was postponed because of food poisoning on my original date and then I had to take it during an audition rotation?" If the answer is no, then don't mention it due to COVID and certainly don't "spin the pandemic" to suit your needs for a personal statement.

We all experienced the pandemic. We know med students had it rough and the challenges that went along with not knowing when you were going to test or how or testing with a mask on. We get it. No need to use it as an excuse in your specific case, especially when the drop isn't dramatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

SDN where average is equivalent to cutting your leg off

Reactions: 1 users
PM&R is literally one of the easiest fields to match. You will be fine

Reactions: 1 user
Excuses mean nothing, especially with a 6-point score drop. You're overthinking it and going from no one caring to shooting yourself in the foot by making excuses. People lost their homes and relocated to homeless shelters in COVID. They lost their loved ones. If that happened to you, by all means, say something. But reduced study time because you were on an audition rotation due to COVID causing a 6-point drop is a. not worth mentioning and b. will likely hurt you more than the drop itself.

Think of it like this: people have had their Steps postponed for all kinds of reasons in the past - a hurricane, an illness, a family emergency, you name it. In any of those cases, would you actually put that in your personal statement? "I would have scored higher, but my test date was postponed because of food poisoning on my original date and then I had to take it during an audition rotation?" If the answer is no, then don't mention it due to COVID and certainly don't "spin the pandemic" to suit your needs for a personal statement.

We all experienced the pandemic. We know med students had it rough and the challenges that went along with not knowing when you were going to test or how or testing with a mask on. We get it. No need to use it as an excuse in your specific case, especially when the drop isn't dramatic.

I agree that the OP shouldn't bring it up, but if questioned about it during an interview I think it is reasonable to mention unforeseen events that may have prevented them from scoring higher. Either way I think their scores are competitive for PM&R and will match fine.

75% with your Step scores matched, but the relatively low match % looks more like a blip in the data from a small sample size. Probably higher odds, in reality.

n = 5 for DO Seniors w/ 230-239 Step 1 and 220-229 Step 2

1599838903519.png

You are fine. It’s not ideal, but it’s far from anything to get worked up about. You will mot likely match. Your chances at a top program are going to hurt, but you should not be concerned if you are simply just trying to match.

Thanks all really appreciate the input. Literally have been hitting my head against a wall because of this. Came to SDN since it’s more harsh than reddit but gotten tons of reassurance. Thanks again y’all best of luck to all other 4th years in this cruddy season of COVID

Reactions: 1 user