Chances at Post-bacc/SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiSox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to decided on what to do next year and was hoping y'all could point me in the right direction..

My background:
-I'm graduating Aug of 2011 w/ a B.S. in Exercise Phys. Minors in Chem/Bio. My cum will be a 3.1 and science gpa around 2.71 (terrible, I know). I have an upward trend in my last couple of semesters, believe it or not.
- Took MCAT last summer and got a 22N (currently studying to take it again).
-research assistant in a lab specializing in diabetes at my school for one year
- Vice President of the Pre-med Fraternity
- Volunteer work: ER at the Cleveland Clinic, Served food at homeless shelters and I have set up fundraisers, food drives etc. for my fraternity.
-Club Soccer

Would anyone else happen to know any programs that would suit my predicament be it an SMP/post-bacc. I'm currently filling out applications for the programs at LECOM, PCOM, Nova, RFU, TCMC, Tufts, Cornell and WesternU . If any one could weigh in on my chances to any of those programs I would appreciate it!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing really much to add in the advice category towards your GPA or MCAT other than keep trying to get that BCPM as close to a 3.0 as possible and your MCAT score as high as possible.

As for the programs you've listed, I'd take Cornell off of that list and add VCU CERT if you can get that MCAT to a 28 or so.

With RFU you're going to want an MCAT score of 27+.

With Nova, best of luck but I don't think you're a competitive candidate even if you pull up the MCAT by 5 points. The class is too small and you're not from the region and without a competitive application, chances aren't good.

PCOM you should be aiming for a 25-26+. Your performance inside the program will be more of a deciding factor as to matriculation into the medical school and I assume you're targeting PCOM-PA and not GA. I really can't stress this enough, you really need a strong performance above your classmates (be in Q1) since they don't have an official linkage plan.

Tufts MBS is realistically not feasible unless you breach a 31 imo but again that's my own opinion.

WesternCOMP is a couple of problems for you. I assume you're aiming for a linkage seat of which I believe there are 10 in the program for their DO school and for that you will need to qualify and be selected for after their interview process for MSMS. Then you will need a 28 on the MCAT. Good program at a great school other than those hurdles and tuition.

LECOM you'll need to retake the MCAT (which you are already). Upside, they do have a formal linkage agreement so once you're in and you have the qualifying MCAT score, the seat is yours to lose depending on your performance in the program. Downsides, it snows a hell of a lot harder here than in Ohio.

Since it looks like you're open to attending osteo SMPs, I'll throw a few others out that may be applicable to you to look into. TU-NY MS, AZCOM/CCOM MA/MBS, TU-NV MHS, WCU-COM MBS and LMU-DCOM post-bacc. Just a few things that you should probably think about.