Chances at top 10 programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StormRising

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year strongly considering pathology. What are my chances at the top 10 programs? Am I being realistic? The following are my stats

DO Student
USMLE Step 1: 233
COMLEX Level 1: 561
No research
Class rank unknown but definitely >60th percentile

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year strongly considering pathology. What are my chances at the top 10 programs? Am I being realistic? The following are my stats

DO Student
No research
Not good. I am DO with step 1 in the 250s and also no research. Got no love from Top 10 but the tier right below that was receptive.

Reactions: 1 user
Not good. I am DO with step 1 in the 250s and also no research. Got no love from Top 10 but the tier right below that was receptive.

Which programs would you consider below the top 10? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of arbitrary but Vanderbilt, Iowa, Yale, Houston Methodist, Cleveland clinic, and UNC all offered interviews. Definitely think about why you want to be in a “top ten” residency especially with no research background. These places are very research and academics focused. Looking back I am glad I didn’t go to a place like that as I wouldn’t have fit in with the culture.

Reactions: 1 users
Kind of arbitrary but Vanderbilt, Iowa, Yale, Houston Methodist, Cleveland clinic, and UNC all offered interviews. Definitely think about why you want to be in a “top ten” residency especially with no research background. These places are very research and academics focused. Looking back I am glad I didn’t go to a place like that as I wouldn’t have fit in with the culture.

Considering that my step 1 is significantly lower than yours, I guess I would probably have to apply more broadly.

Hey, another DO here and future pathologist. I have similar board scores too. What are the “top ten” programs?

DO Student
No research
What are the 10 programs you consider top 10?

You can't go wrong with Mayo and Wash U in St Louis.

I'm not really sure but I'm guessing Harvard, Yale, Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, etc.

don't forget UCSF, uni of Chicago, Northwestern, some programs in Texas. I don't personally see where you graduate playing as big of a role for fellowships in path compared to other specialities (like medicine). fellowships are obtained mainly via doing an away rotation and impressing and PD calls. Choose a program you like, in a city you can afford.

don't forget UCSF, uni of Chicago, Northwestern, some programs in Texas. I don't personally see where you graduate playing as big of a role for fellowships in path compared to other specialities (like medicine). fellowships are obtained mainly via doing an away rotation and impressing and PD calls. Choose a program you like, in a city you can afford.

The programs I plan to apply to are the following (first 5 are in order of preference):

Emory
Vanderbilt
Medical College of Georgia
University of Alabama
University of Florida in Gainesville and Jacksonville
GW in DC
Georgetown University
Rest of Florida programs
University of Kentucky
John Hopkins

Last edited:
es.
The programs I plan to apply to are the following (first 5 are in order of preference):

Emory
Vanderbilt
Medical College of Georgia
University of Alabama
University of Florida in Gainesville and Jacksonville
GW in DC
Georgetown University
Rest of Florida programs
University of Kentucky
John Hopkins

By the looks of it, you seem to be geographically limited with the exception of accommodating for more 'prestigious' programs. I think regardless of where you end up (from those programs) you'll be fine. I'd say research how much the programs pay and how much cost of living is. For example, I believe UAB pays some of the least (let's say around 6000/year less than DC) but its also much cheaper to live there than DC.

Try to do any research, but I think you have a good likelihood you'll end up in one of those places. Best of luck.

edit: As I mentioned previously, in the field of path, program 'reputation' doesn't play as big of a role so don't let that be the end-all of your decision-making processes.

Reactions: 1 user