Chances at top-tier at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esther0123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just recently started thinking about American schools as a possibility, and I was wondering if top-tier schools (harvard, hopkins, nwo, yale, columbia?) would be even a possibility for me.

cgpa: 3.79 (amcas - I'm not entirely sure if I converted it correctly, but this is roughly where it's at), 3.76 (omsas), 86% (current institution -- top 3 Canadian schools/within Top 25 university)

strong upward trend in cgpa, last two years being 3.9 - 4.0, sgpa should be around 3.7-3.8 roughly.. all my scores are pretty even, with an upward trend.

research: 2 summers (one usra), a few conferences, thesis (no pubs yet)

volunteer/extracurricular: 1 long term mentorship with youth at risk, several student art exhibitions, delegation at a couple national conferences, several awards (big and small, largest one 4 years renewable worth 12 000)

deal breaker: mcat in august

possible special point: raised in foster care system, abusive childhood, moved out to live on my own since 16 (and still living alone) with the support of the Ministry.

I would really appreciate some insights since I'm a little clueless when it comes to American schools!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I've just recently started thinking about American schools as a possibility, and I was wondering if top-tier schools (harvard, hopkins, nwo, yale, columbia?) would be even a possibility for me.

cgpa: 3.79 (amcas - I'm not entirely sure if I converted it correctly, but this is roughly where it's at), 3.76 (omsas), 86% (current institution -- top 3 Canadian schools/within Top 25 university)

strong upward trend in cgpa, last two years being 3.9 - 4.0, sgpa should be around 3.7-3.8 roughly.. all my scores are pretty even, with an upward trend.

volunteer/extracurricular: 1 long term mentorship with youth at risk, several student art exhibitions, delegation at a couple national conferences, several awards (big and small, largest one 4 years renewable worth 12 000)

possible special point: raised in foster care system, abusive childhood, moved out to live on my own since 16 (and still living alone) with the support of the Ministry.

I would really appreciate some insights since I'm a little clueless when it comes to American schools!

Well, no one can answer this unless we've got an MCAT score for you. But your special point is as powerful as they come. Good luck on the MCAT.

It is hard to say without an MCAT.

Also, I didn't see any physician shadowing or clinical experience where you had patient contact. If you don't have this, it is going to be trouble for any tier school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

GPA-wise, top schools are possible for you. EC-wise, not so much, at least from what you've shared with us. MCAT-wise, yet to be determined.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm a little ambiguous as to how much EC would be required for American Schools. In Canadian schools, it seems to vary a lot, but generally they give different weight to different aspects (Academic/Non Academic) so if one scores high enough in one aspect, it could mitigate a lower score on the other, and not much emphasis on MCAT. Would a higher MCAT score buffer for a less than stellar EC, or would EC have to be strong regardless of other aspects?

As an international applicant competing with so many other outstanding applicants, it would be best to have the total package. "Top Schools" are designated as such due to their research orientation per the most commonly accepted measure (US News rankings). Two summers of full-time research involvement would be ~average for the general applicant pool. Top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine. Your chances of an acceptance by one of them lies with whether your application supports this potential, backed up by your LOR writers. Ways in which you can show this capability for making a difference might be with substantive research (possibly with publications), with strong community service, and/or with above-and-beyond leadership.

Other categories that help one to create a balanced application are Teaching, Hobbies, Honors & Awards, and Artistic Endeavors.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm a little ambiguous as to how much EC would be required for American Schools. In Canadian schools, it seems to vary a lot, but generally they give different weight to different aspects (Academic/Non Academic) so if one scores high enough in one aspect, it could mitigate a lower score on the other, and not much emphasis on MCAT. Would a higher MCAT score buffer for a less than stellar EC, or would EC have to be strong regardless of other aspects?

I can offer my own personal experience, as a Canadian applying in both countries. I have found schools in Canada -- or at least in Ontario -- to be much less forgiving of poor grades, and much more forgiving of poor extracurriculars. The University of Ottawa, for example, doesn't even consider for interview out-of-province applicants with GPAs below 3.87 (and in-province, out-of-region applicants with GPAs below 3.85). I do think the process is much more holistic in the US, so I imagine deficits in one area could, in theory, be balanced out by extraordinary accomplishment in another. That being said, at the level of the "top" schools, I think you need to be very good in all areas. Good luck!

I can offer my own personal experience, as a Canadian applying in both countries. I have found schools in Canada -- or at least in Ontario -- to be much less forgiving of poor grades, and much more forgiving of poor extracurriculars. The University of Ottawa, for example, doesn't even consider for interview out-of-province applicants with GPAs below 3.87 (and in-province, out-of-region applicants with GPAs below 3.85). I do think the process is much more holistic in the US, so I imagine deficits in one area could, in theory, be balanced out by extraordinary accomplishment in another. That being said, at the level of the "top" schools, I think you need to be very good in all areas. Good luck!
Good post. I wish you'd hang around WAMC more, candav, to share your Canadian expertise.