MD Chances at US Schools [Canadian reapplicant]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just was looking for some advice on if it would be a good idea for me to apply to US MD schools this cycle. I am a Canadian citizen and re-applicant; I received interview invites from Canadian MD schools last cycle. Unfortunately, I was rejected due to poor interview scores. My interview preparation was inadequate.

My cumulative GPA is 3.93, Bachelor's completed. On my MCAT I scored a 30 on my first sitting (PS11-VR8-BS11), and on my second a 31 (PS12-VR6-BS13). I am also preparing to write the new MCAT in a couple of months. My extracurriculars, LORs were comparable to the average interviewed applicant, according to stats released by Canadian MD schools.

I would like to maximize my chances for acceptance next year and do not mind studying at the US for my MD.

After consulting MSAR, I was thinking about applying to 3 schools:
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • George Washington
  • Wayne State
My question is, is it worth applying to these schools with my stats? I know my MCAT Verbal were quite low. Acceptance stats on MSAR for international applicants also looks intimidating.

Greatly appreciate any input or advice of yours :)

Members don't see this ad.