Chances at VCOM? (all campuses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spb103

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wanted to know my chances since there will be no more grade replacement :(

I am 24 years old, history major, biology minor. NJ resident.
cGPA: 3.098
sGPA: 2.88
** re-took all science courses after undergrad that I got a C/D/or F, and made sure they were all above Bs. The 2.88 is without the retakes!
MCAT: 505

My ECs are pretty dense. Lots of shadowing hours of a DO, volunteering in health clinics in urban areas, soup kitchen, medical research, taking over health classes at underfunded high schools in philadelphia, volunteering with dementia patients, and I work part time at a childrens learning center. I am also a member of IMHO (International Medical Health Organization), been volunteering with them since 2011.
I have 6 letters of recommendation (2 are professors, 1 PI, 1 DO, 2 from volunteering).

**Also due to financial reasons, I can not do a SMP or post bacc. So these are my final grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to know my chances since there will be no more grade replacement :(

I am 24 years old, history major, biology minor. NJ resident.
cGPA: 3.098
sGPA: 2.88
** re-took all science courses after undergrad that I got a C/D/or F, and made sure they were all above Bs. The 2.88 is without the retakes!
MCAT: 505

My ECs are pretty dense. Lots of shadowing hours of a DO, volunteering in health clinics in urban areas, soup kitchen, medical research, taking over health classes at underfunded high schools in philadelphia, volunteering with dementia patients, and I work part time at a childrens learning center. I am also a member of IMHO (International Medical Health Organization), been volunteering with them since 2011.
I have 6 letters of recommendation (2 are professors, 1 PI, 1 DO, 2 from volunteering).

**Also due to financial reasons, I can not do a SMP or post bacc. So these are my final grades.

Not great with that sGPA. You would have been a good candidate for their grad certificate program. Apply extremely early and broadly to see what you can make of it. Just takes one saying yes. (Forewarning though, had you not disqualified it, I strongly would have recommended an SMP).

VCOMs stress high GPA. Apply but the odds are not in your favor. If you get an interview be prepared to kill it.

FYI, submitting primary for one VCOM campus can suffice for applying to all three campuses. Save that $$$

Members don't see this ad :)
Not awesome unfortunately, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.;)

I'd apply there, LECOM, and mostly new schools. I'd also roll the dice with Rowan bc that would be amazing given your location.

If you have a strong upward trend in the retakes, I think you have a chance.

VCOMs stress high GPA. Apply but the odds are not in your favor. If you get an interview be prepared to kill it.

FYI, submitting primary for one VCOM campus can suffice for applying to all three campuses. Save that $$$

Ahhh man :/ Do know of any schools specifically that do not stress high GPAs. Its literally my only weak point. (MCAT score I feel is average/ok)

there are a lot of schools that don't stress high gpas, but a high gpa is 3.6+. Most DO schools are good with ~3.4, with the floor being 3.0. Without getting your gpa to 3.0 you essentially shoot yourself in the foot for every school. There are a couple schools that require 3.25 such as Campbell and I believe KCU. Your best bet is at least get to 3.0 even though I think that is still too low personally

Reactions: 1 users
Ahhh man :/ Do know of any schools specifically that do not stress high GPAs. Its literally my only weak point. (MCAT score I feel is average/ok)

New schools like ACOM, LMU-DCOM. NE resident like you should include LECOMs, Touros, Liberty.

Did you get a secondary application? I'm in a similar boat except my GPA was ok my MCAT was below 500 though. I did get a secondary...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not to derail this thread, but what other schools value really high GPA besides VCOMs? Can't apply to VCOM because I don't technically have an upper level science.

Not to derail this thread, but what other schools value really high GPA besides VCOMs? Can't apply to VCOM because I don't technically have an upper level science.
I'm in the same boat but my plan is to take them in the Spring at my local university (1.5 hours away) if I get an acceptance. I wouldn't avoid the school just because of a missing prereq or two.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat but my plan is to take them in the Spring at my local university (1.5 hours away) if I get an acceptance. I wouldn't avoid the school just because of a missing prereq or two.
I just don't know that I'm willing to spend that extra $2000-3000 for those classes. I support myself financially, so that's a lot of money lol.

I just don't know that I'm willing to spend that extra $2000-3000 for those classes. I support myself financially, so that's a lot of money lol.

I think you should apply to the VCOMs, and if you get in to one and don't get acceptances elsewhere then take these required courses next spring 2018 semester. Yes, continuing education costs suck I totally feel you on that. However you don't want to be in a situation where you only get one acceptance, to a VCOM, and can't take it because you lack these classes. Then all the cash you spent on applying is lost, and you basically miss out on a year of an attending's salary.

If you don't get into a VCOM or choose to go somewhere else (hopefully you will hear by late December) then you can just not take the courses.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. I also wonder if UNECOM online class wouldn't maybe satisfy these requirements for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should apply to the VCOMs, and if you get in to one and don't get acceptances elsewhere then take these required courses next spring 2018 semester. Yes, continuing education costs suck I totally feel you on that. However you don't want to be in a situation where you only get one acceptance, to a VCOM, and can't take it because you lack these classes. Then all the cash you spent on applying is lost, and you basically miss out on a year of an attending's salary.

If you don't get into a VCOM or choose to go somewhere else (hopefully you will hear by late December) then you can just not take the courses.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. I also wonder if UNECOM online class wouldn't maybe satisfy these requirements for you.
All of UNECOMs courses are listed at a 1000 level. I'm not sure why they do it this way because Biochem is clearly not a 1000 level course. I have heard from others that received interviews from VCOM that they are very strict on the two courses being in the 3000 level.

All of UNECOMs courses are listed at a 1000 level. I'm not sure why they do it this way because Biochem is clearly not a 1000 level course. I have heard from others that received interviews from VCOM that they are very strict on the two courses being in the 3000 level.

Weird! Good to know.

Weird! Good to know.
There was even an SDN post last year from an applicant with a biology degree that got accepted to VCOM, however, they told him/her that they needed to complete two additional upper level bio courses even though they already had a biology degree with tons of upper lever science. They cited her low MCAT (21) as the reason so it seems that VCOM is way more concerned about coursework than MCAT.

So you think these other schools would be okay with me just not taking these classes?

So you think these other schools would be okay with me just not taking these classes?
Yes, as long as they are not a prereq for that school. You just need to notify your accepted school that you will not be taking the non-required courses listed as future on your transcript. I have never heard of a school giving an acceptance with the condition that the student completes a non-required course (except VCOM.... they are weird with courses).

Last edited:
From their website:
"VCOM places emphasis on the science and required courses as well as the last 120 credit hours when choosing competitive applicants.

Applicants should have achieved at least a 3.2 science and cumulative grade point average.
The average GPA of accepted students was 3.5 to 3.6."

and

"A competitive MCAT on the old scoring system is at or above 25, and a competitive MCAT on the new scoring system is at or above 500."

So it looks like they place an emphasis on the last 120 credit hours you've taken. I would focus on getting your GPA above a 3.2 so you won't get screened out since, to them, you have a competitive MCAT score.