MD Chances? Canadian, 35 MCAT, 3.95 GPA (4.0 Science GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mustangs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just finished my 3rd year in an Honors Specialization in Med Sci program at Western university in Canada. My cGPA so far is around 3.95 and my science GPA is close to 4.0. My ECs include:

Summer research position in a cancer research lab
Data collection for a research study last summer
Shadowed a cardiologist in a clinic for a summer
Two international volunteer trips (7-10 days each, non-medical)
Many local volunteer activities (soup kitchen, shelters)
Executive member of a newly founded philanthropic club at my university
Other random summer jobs (lifeguarding, sales associate)
Volunteered at a hospital for 6 months in highschool

I will be applying to all schools in Ontario as well as McGill and UBC, but I also wanted to apply to some US MD schools incase. So far on my list:

Albany, Central Michigan University, Rosalind Franklin, Columbia, Emory, Dartmouth, GWU, Jefferson, Michigan State, Oakland, U of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth..... any thoughts?

*In terms of LOR, I only have one science faculty member which is limiting me from applying to some schools. The others are my research supervisors (2), volunteer supervisor for international trip, maybe the cardiologist I shadowed

Members don't see this ad.

Better double-check on Albany. I don't think they accept internationals anymore.
Central Michigan you might need to show some connections to the region or convince them that you would practice in the region. At least that's according to their school mission...
The rest of the schools look fine. You should have a good shot at Canadian schools with your stats, assuming your MCAT is somewhat balanced. You can add some reach schools in the US too.

Thanks! I looked into it and got rid of Albany and Central Michigan. I have a 14PS,10VS,11BS. Also adding Hopkins, Cornell, Stanford, Wayne and Yale to the list.

Thanks! I looked into it and got rid of Albany and Central Michigan. I have a 14PS,10VS,11BS. Also adding Hopkins, Cornell, Stanford, Wayne and Yale to the list.
There are 74 MD schools that accept applications from internationals. Apply to at least 30 (since most of them only matriculate single digits).