Chances/competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cartercarve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I apologize for making one these (because NRMP charting outcomes exists) but I was hoping for more personal feedback on where I stand in terms of competitiveness for OB/Gyn. Types of programs I have a shot at? I apologize for having incomplete data- still early in 3rd year.

-Mid tier US MD
-very well first 2 years, just started 3rd so no info available
-Male
-245 Step 1
- 4 research experiences (2 undergrad, 2 Med school, but nothing relegated to OB/Gyn)
- 1 major poster, one minor, no publications
-little volunteering

I sincerely appreciate all input!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You will be very competitive; try to get some kind of obgyn related research, but in your case I'd say it'd be more icing on the cake than anything else. Obviously try to do well on your rotations and you will match well.

You will be very competitive; try to get some kind of obgyn related research, but in your case I'd say it'd be more icing on the cake than anything else. Obviously try to do well on your rotations and you will match well.

Thank you for the quick and helpful response! I'll look into some research.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What does "very well" mean? Without knowing how you did on your clerkships, and a 245 on Step 1, no one can tell you that you will match "very well". There is more to an application than just a good Step 1 score. Someone would have to look at your entire application, before they can tell you how well you may or may not do. You need to get a good adviser who will sit with you and come up with a list of programs that are a good fit and realistic for you to apply to.