jl lin

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
I think people might want to see the following:

Actual MCAT %, sGPA, and if there is an upward trend on the cumulative.
You have some other interesting stuff there, so that's good.

Are you OK with applying to both MD and DO or are you an MD only person?

If MD only, unless you kill the MCAT and have a really awesome application overall, well, you may not get in first try, even though what you have shared is far from horrible. So, if you are quite as competitive as those applying, it's maybe so, maybe not. Totally depends upon the stats of your cohorts in the application process. It's generally about the numbers you are up against, at least to a point.

What people may tell you is this: If hot for MD, kill MCAT and/or maybe do a special Masters, or a program like Temple's Advanced Core in Medical Sciences Program. Of course, getting into one of Temple's programs is like getting into medical school itself, b/c if you maintain a =/> sGPA 3.5 and hitting the top of the curve on the new MCAT. After doing very well in one of such programs, killing MCAT, and keeping the other parts of your app warm, with good LORs, you'd be in your best position for MD application--at least the pre-interview. So, that may take longer than applying for DO, which will probably get you into MS and out practicing as a physician faster. Depends on what you want to do.

Good luck.

OP
jds313

jds313

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
deleted

Last edited:

Zoro9

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm unsure of what my sGPA is. And my grades were fairly the same throughout college. No real changes. Are you recommending a Masters program because my gpa is too low? Would a 518 on the Mcat be able to compensate for it?
- Your stats determine which school you can apply for( you're listing an allo-pathic school with low cGPA) So, target schools smart.
- You need to figure out your sGPA based on the classes you have taken so far.
- practice MCAT is different than actual score. Therefore, it is not going to help me/us to tell you.
- You may want to add DO schools based on your cGPA.
- MCAT score won't compensate/salvage, because you're not the only one with such a score applying to MD schools

jl lin

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
I'm unsure of what my sGPA is. And my grades were fairly the same throughout college. No real changes. Are you recommending a Masters program because my gpa is too low? Would a 518 on the Mcat be able to compensate for it?

Thanks!

MCAT, perhaps. I am just throwing stuff out there for you--no recommendations. I mean if you really break bad on the MCAT, and there are no major red flags, sure you have a shot. But from reading here at SDN, the general theme is this: To try to get the ball into the hoop first time out. As to why, I would direct you to do a search for anything written by Goro, Gyngyn, Dr. Midlife, QofQuimica, and so many people here that are better qualified than I am to advise you. Lizzy is another excellent resource. Read through the Reapplicants forum.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/re-applicants-md-do.95/

The idea is to make your absolute best possible application first time around. If you feel like you have the time and can become more competitive with upper level science coursework or a program SMP after taking the MCAT, fine. If you want to try to move faster, put your focus on giving the MCAT you're all, do your absolute best, and apply DO as well. I mean, either way, you have to take the MCAT.

If you do score well, I mean 518 is in the 96th %, so if you hit that, you're in a good position. Then you can go ahead and apply. Just know that you will probably have to apply broadly, and you will still be up against strong competition. Most allopathic schools are looking for cGPA =/>3.6. DO schools will cut some slack, and they will also allow for grade replacement. If I were you and I scored well on the MCAT, and my sGPA was > or = 3.5 or 3.6, give or take other things in your application, yes, I'd apply. But I would do so broadly, and I have no issues with applying to DO schools as well. Applying to enough of both of those kinds of medical schools gives me a numerical advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: jds313

jl lin

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
I forgot Gonnif too. OK There are a lot advisers that start with a G here.

Reactions: jds313
OP
jds313

jds313

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
deleted

Last edited:

clausewitz2

10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You will get approximately half an iota of consideration for having a more difficult major. Ultimately it is not taken into account in a way that is meaningful. Unfair, but welcome to medicine.

jl lin

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
I just did some calculations and turns out my sGPA is also a 3.4. So I guess I stand sort of in the middle. Since Mechanical engineering is a more difficult major than other would I be okay with a 3.4 and a strong MCAT (~518)?

Focus on getting to the golden percentiles on the MCAT. If you do, then apply broadly. If it doesn't pan out, look for an SMP or seriously consider DO. I know this seems to be some bizarre issue for some folks. The DO bias escapes me, but whatever.

Unless you are hoping to get into a competitive specialty, you shouldn't let DO dissuade you. And even then, though some say it may be harder, depending, lot of folks with DOs get into competitive specialities. It does seem, however, that connections to competitive programs may be easier with the MD. Maybe that is changing or not. I really can't say; since I am not interested in pediatric brain surgery, so. . .