Chances for a 3.64 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, with listed ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garosen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently an undergraduate incoming junior.
Expected graduation: 2015
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.64 (can get up to 3.7 if all goes as planned)
sGPA: 3.5 (again, may be able to raise this to a 3.6)
Haven't taken the MCAT yet. Realistic score expectation: 32-34.

Physician shadowing
- 20 hours of shadowing internal medicine doctors at UH.
- 20 hours of shadowing internal medicine doctor in NY during the summer (the physician I shadowed is a relative of mine).
- 2-week shadowing experience with Montefiore Vice President of Clinical Services and attending nurses. Earned CPR and AED certification.

Clinical volunteer activities
- Volunteering at The Weils (a nursing home center) for 2 years to present.
- 100+ hours of volunteering at Montefiore (rehabilitation/short-term care center).

Leadership Experience
- Launched and co-edited senior residents' monthly newsletter that was well received by the residents at The Weils.
- Co-edited the quarterly volunteer newsletter at Montefiore.

Research
None yet. I applied for MetroHealth and Cleveland Clinic Research internships for summer 2013. I was not selected because I had not completed Genetics coursework (which I will be taking in Fall 2013).

Employment
- Working as Cleveland Clinic office assistant during summer 2013.

Not trying to get into top 10 schools. Realistically, Loyola, Georgetown, and New York Medical College are some of the schools I'm interested in applying for.

I've also been trying to join EMS at my school for the past year, but they kept closing or postponing classes. I'm hoping to try again for next year.

Thoughts/any tips to bolster my EC's further would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So when are you taking your mcat and when are you applying?

I would be taking the mcat in May or June 2014 and applying once I get scores back around July.

That said, I'm taking physics and calculus over the summer to lighten up my coursework and free up some time to study for the mcat during the year. Needless to say, these classes are going to consume most of my summer. That means that between now, the mcat, and applying to med school, I'm not going to have much time to do research internships or many more EC's. Should I be worried if I don't have a research internship or more EC's backing up my application?

I would definitely aim for the April test date instead so that you can have your app in by June once you get your score back in May. These test dates scare me though just because it's sorta all or nothing. If you don't do well, you don't really have much time to retake with still having a good shot during that cycle. This is why i'm taking mine in January. HOWEVER, MANY people do take the April and May test dates.

Focus on getting those GPAs up to the 3.7 and 3.6 you were talking about.