WAMC/School List GA Resident ORM. 505 MCAT, 3.64 cGPA, 3.57 sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JungleTrouble

Reaction score
I really need help making a school list.

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
AMCAS: 3.649 cGPA, 3.571 sGPA
AACOMAS: 3.649 cGPA, 3.587 sGPA

MCAT score(s) and breakdown
3/11/23: 505 (127, 127, 125, 126)
6/25/22: 503 (125, 125, 127, 126)
6/25/22: 495 (122, 124, 124, 125)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
GA resident, with family ties to New Jersey, Maryland, California

Ethnicity and/or race
22 yo Southeast Asian Male

Undergraduate institution or category
Georgia Tech

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Hospital volunteer at Northside since high school: 766 hours
Clinical Opportunities Connector (helping to organize events and connect undergrads to hospitals in ATL) - 276
MA at ENT: 160 (just started but am working full time)

Research experience and productivity
Research on vibrio cholera and Type 6 Secretion Systems
476 hours
2 poster presentations

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
40 hours shadowing GI
60 hours shadowing Otolaryngologist
20 hours shadowing Pediatrician

Non-clinical volunteering
Volunteer at Buddhist temple - 500 hours
- translator
- youth mentor
- soup kitchen (volunteer)
- Tutor

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
- Research assistant at Psychology lab - 506 hours
- Worked as an event coordinator for student life organization that oversaw hundreds of attending, from logistics to venues to media. 450 hours
- Video editor making content on youtube as well as creating 3D elements for modded content through blender. 660 hours
- Getting back into Tennis as well
- Tutoring: Paid for math and physics 700 hours
- TA for organismal Biology 204 hours

Relevant honors or awards
Dean's list
National vision scholarship
Zell Miller
Jean Cory Youth Scholarship
Northside Auxiliary Educational Grant

Graduated 2022 Biology Major

Please let me know if there's anything else I should include.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

MCG
Mercer
Belmont (when it opens)
PCOM (all campuses)
DMU
Marian
Campbell
VCOM (all campuses except Monroe)
KCU
KCOM
ACOM
NYIT
LECOM (all campuses)
WVSOM
WCU
UIWSOM
Touro NV

Last edited:
I suggest:

MCG
Mercer
Belmont (when it opens)
PCOM (all campuses)
DMU
Marian
Campbell
KCU
KCOM
ACOM
NYIT
LECOM (all campuses)
WVSOM
WCU
UIWSOM
Touro NV
Is MCG viable, cause their median is like a 513/514

Is MCG viable, cause their median is like a 513/514
It would be tough. And I recall Mercer is more rural oriented. If you do not have any experience in that setting or do not live in a rural area, it might be better to only submit to MCG for AMCAS. The state schools tend to be more holistic, so it is worth a try for MCG.

Last edited:
It would be tough. And I recall Mercer is more rural oriented. If you do not have any experience in that setting or do not live in a rural area, it might be better to only submit to MCG for AMCAS. The state schools tend to be more holistic, so it is worth a try for MCG.
Thanks for the feedback! Is there somewhere I can ask med students of a particular school for help? I'm not too familiar with the website or process.

Please break down your hours at the temple for each listed role.
To be honest the roles kind of blended together depending who attended which week. I would say the translator was during all 500. Soup kitchen was 200, and tutor and youth mentor split between 250.

Thanks for the feedback! Is there somewhere I can ask med students of a particular school for help? I'm not too familiar with the website or process.
These will be where you go to apply for DO and MD, respectively:

I suggest:

MCG
Mercer
Belmont (when it opens)
PCOM (all campuses)
DMU
Marian
Campbell
KCU
KCOM
ACOM
NYIT
LECOM (all campuses)
WVSOM
WCU
UIWSOM
Touro NV
Also, are other MDs aside from MCG and Mercer out of the question given my profile?

Also, are other MDs aside from MCG and Mercer out of the question given my profile?
Yes, your MCAT scores are very low. You will likely be Dead On Arrival at places where you don't have in-state preference working for you.

Yes, your MCAT scores are very low. You will likely be Dead On Arrival at places where you don't have in-state preference working for you.
Tough but appreciate the honesty. Even with the in-state preference, it's still not looking good either, huh?

Tough but appreciate the honesty. Even with the in-state preference, it's still not looking good either, huh?
And remember some schools will average your MCAT scores. AMCAS rec that schools do this for multiple test takers. Some do and some don’t but it is a possibility. If a school does you wouldn’t have a 505 MCAT. You’d be working with a501 or so.

Reactions: 2 users
You appear to lack any rural-mission fit experiences that would make you more competitive for Mercer tragically. Even if you were to get hours now, it may not be enough. Regardless, if they decide not to average your MCAT, which is unlikely nowadays due to how competitive MD/DO schools are getting, you will be at a disadvantage unless your PS makes some sort of groundbreaking connection to rural, underserved areas. Your GPA is right at their average, too, or slightly less, making you a mainstream applicant in terms of stats potentially, but probably does not help you get an II.

And remember some schools will average your MCAT scores. AMCAS rec that schools do this for multiple test takers. Some do and some don’t but it is a possibility. If a school does you wouldn’t have a 505 MCAT. You’d be working with a501 or so.
Also this is very true, many schools start to average your MCAT, especially after your third take, because usually people take it a second time to show significant improvement from your first score, which is not necessarily shown here where you went from a 503 -> 505 from your second to third take.

Overall, an MD is very unlikely and most likely will not receive any II's from MD schools, as inoffensive as I am trying to sound. You are, however, relatively well-fit for DO schools that chilly_md has recommended. You should receive interviews from multiple DO schools, especially places such as PCOM's Georgia campus potentially.

I would add LMU-DCOM to your potential DO school list as well just because LMU-DCOM fits your stats perfectly and you are competitive for it with your overall CV, but others may disagree which is fine!

Reactions: 1 users
OP: I'm a bit surprised it appears you have little support from your prehealth advising office as you seem unprepared for the advice you are receiving. Just observing.
I've tried to make appointments with them but between my work hours and their drop-in hours and available appointment times, they are unable to accommodate a meeting. I do appreciate the candidness of everyone here, I'm learning a lot about where I stand and how to approach the process.

Reactions: 1 user
You appear to lack any rural-mission fit experiences that would make you more competitive for Mercer tragically. Even if you were to get hours now, it may not be enough. Regardless, if they decide not to average your MCAT, which is unlikely nowadays due to how competitive MD/DO schools are getting, you will be at a disadvantage unless your PS makes some sort of groundbreaking connection to rural, underserved areas. Your GPA is right at their average, too, or slightly less, making you a mainstream applicant in terms of stats potentially, but probably does not help you get an II.

Also this is very true, many schools start to average your MCAT, especially after your third take, because usually people take it a second time to show significant improvement from your first score, which is not necessarily shown here where you went from a 503 -> 505 from your second to third take.

Overall, an MD is very unlikely and most likely will not receive any II's from MD schools, as inoffensive as I am trying to sound. You are, however, relatively well-fit for DO schools that chilly_md has recommended. You should receive interviews from multiple DO schools, especially places such as PCOM's Georgia campus potentially.

I would add LMU-DCOM to your potential DO school list as well just because LMU-DCOM fits your stats perfectly and you are competitive for it with your overall CV, but others may disagree which is fine!
Thanks for the breakdown. I'll be applying broadly so appreciate the list and analysis. I understand the disappointing appearance behind the 503 to 505 but do schools care about that jump from the 495 or just the most recent set?

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll be applying broadly so appreciate the list and analysis. I understand the disappointing appearance behind the 503 to 505 but do schools care about that jump from the 495 or just the most recent set?
Some schools average scores for screening...

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I was told directly after asking admissions at an MD school (so may not apply to all) that after the third attempt, they average it because usually the second attempt is used to show "significant improvement" from the first score, such as 490 -> 515, or such, after learning to study better, not being sick, etc. Three attempts, with the third being about the same score, within range of your second score and not showing drastic score improvement, would mean they would average it and lead to a screen-out by quite a number of schools to reduce their applicant pool size.