Chances for an Oxford Med student at Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtonsingh

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ranked first out of my faculty for the past 3 years.
In my clinical rotations currently.
Have 3 publications to my name.
What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Ranked first out of my faculty for the past 3 years.
In my clinical rotations currently.
Have 3 publications to my name.
What are my chances?

Why Mt Sinai in particular? Are you asking your chances to rotate there as a med student? Or to match as a resident? For the former, it shouldn't be terribly difficult. For the latter, finish your rotations, take Step 1 and 2, do some rotations in the US, get stellar letters, and your chances are still slim.

Why Mt Sinai in particular? Are you asking your chances to rotate there as a med student? Or to match as a resident? For the former, it shouldn't be terribly difficult. For the latter, finish your rotations, take Step 1 and 2, do some rotations in the US, get stellar letters, and your chances are still slim.

I'm hoping to match in a neurosurgery residency at Mt. Sinai. Planning to take Step 1 and 2 next year. I've read the chances for an acclaimed residency is difficult, but there have been exceptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when is Mt. Sinai "acclaimed" in neurosurgery?

Chances of you targeting a specific program and matching there are slim. Your best bet is to spend several years as a research fellow and pray they take you on.

You have a long way to go. Step 1 & 2 need to be >250 and you need some serious research. Foreign medical grads generally need to have prolific high impact research CVs

Since when is Mt. Sinai "acclaimed" in neurosurgery?

Chances of you targeting a specific program and matching there are slim. Your best bet is to spend several years as a research fellow and pray they take you on.

You have a long way to go. Step 1 & 2 need to be >250 and you need some serious research. Foreign medical grads generally need to have prolific high impact research CVs

I never referred to Mount Sinai as having an acclaimed program in neurosurgery, I meant the residency in general.

How about something less desired, for example a GP residency? Would that be easier to get into? I'm originally from the US and would prefer coming back, though I know what I was getting into by going to England for Medicine.

Obviously a primary care residency is more easily attainable. But what is it you really want: to be a surgeon (neurosurgeon) or a primary care doctor. You should figure that out before you start this process.

Now you may have a slight advantage over the typical FMG (SE asia, or no-name western med school), but competitive specialties are just that: competitive.

You can take a look at all the current resident at Mt Sinai on their website- no foreign graduates in neurosurgery and 1-2 foreign graduates/year in internal medicine (and most of those are from Sackler).

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously a primary care residency is more easily attainable. But what is it you really want: to be a surgeon (neurosurgeon) or a primary care doctor. You should figure that out before you start this process.

Now you may have a slight advantage over the typical FMG (SE asia, or no-name western med school), but competitive specialties are just that: competitive.

You can take a look at all the current resident at Mt Sinai on their website- no foreign graduates in neurosurgery and 1-2 foreign graduates/year in internal medicine (and most of those are from Sackler).

I want to be a neurosurgeon in the US, however if that is out of my reach, I am willing to compromise and settle with being a GP.

Thank you for referring me to the website; I never knew they released such information publicly.

I cant understand how a person going rank 1 for three consecutive years can't manage what he or she is going to do ... You ask about neurosurgery and then immediately ask about GP ... what you need is to read this forum and others web sites for a several days and become realistic about your chances. And to be honest forger about neurosurgery, you may spent 2-3 years and get nothing, stay wherever you are because it's an amazing place to live and work, or switch to US to some less competitive specialty (like general surgery,internal medicine e.t.c) . Imagine there is only 150 places in neurosurgery every year, and let's say 1200 in general surgery, and thousands in internal medicine. Your rank 1 in your school will not bring you anywhere if you will not become realistic, do some thorough research about the process of residency application. Get in touch with people, get some good advises and become realistic. That's my 0.5 cents. For example you can become a neurologist and then do a fellowship in invasive neurology (stenting,coiling and things along this line), it is cool. It's not neurosurgery but it's about the brain and invasive procedures and it's cool, needles to say about the salary and quality of life. Be realistic or some guy from top 30 from oxford will take you down with a one shoot only because he or she is realistic and made a right decision and was in a right place. We all have our dreams, but most of the people doesn't reach them, especially IMG's. They end up in internal medicine. No offence but when I see a thread called " Chanses for an oxford student at Sinai" It sounds childish as minimum ... IMG is an IMG, and will be treated as an IMG. Don't repeat big mistakes that others have already made.
Cest la vie

Last edited:
Surgeria is right in questioning "how a person going rank 1 for three consecutive years can't manage what he or she is going to do ... You ask about neurosurgery and then immediately ask about GP".

The answer is he is not from Oxford. He does not have to calibre to formulate a simple lie, with discrepancies from his first post alone.

I know this is old but if the OP is still looking for answers. There have been at least 3 UK graduates to train as Neurosurgeons in the US. I know one of them had done 1 year of NS in the UK so perhaps you may want to do F1 then apply for an F2 post for 12 months in NS in Oxford / Cambridge or London, then apply to the US after that. Research opportunities are available in the UK if you speak to the right consultant and if you are motivated enough. It's not easy but I feel if you want it enough then it is possible. Yes yes it is thoroughly tough, however there's lots of scaremongering on these forums. At least try before settling. Good Luck.

The answer is he is not from Oxford. He does not have to calibre to formulate a simple lie, with discrepancies from his first post alone.

You don't have the caliber to construct a grammatically correct sentence. I don't have to justify anything to you, but for those asking the reasons behind what appear to be "childish" questions is because I am not familiar with the American IMG route. My education here as well as my research up until now has revolved around the NHS stream.

However, I give a genuine thank you to those who have answered constructively.