1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Chances for DO school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by cmm080, Jul 17, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. cmm080

cmm080

May 16, 2016
    Hi everyone!
    Currently an undergrad/graduate student with a 3.5 GPA but 3.3 overall GPA. (I got super sick my freshman year which led to some C's and ended up having to withdraw and transfer schools a semester later).
    I am currently in a 5 year combined BA/MS program for biological sciences, so I'll Be applying to DO school in 2018/2019 with both a Bachelors of Arts and masters of science which will also boost my GPA to around the 3.4-3.6 or higher mark. The program I am in is extremely research intensive... spending 50+ hours a week doing DNA/RNA research.
    I plan to take the MCAT Summer 2018 and would like to apply to D.O school (Rocky Vista in Parker, CO is my top choice)
    What are my chances considering my lower GPA?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata 2+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Hard to evaluate without your mcat score, but your gpa should be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

4. JustPlainBill

JustPlainBill Attending 10+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Physician
    Pfft --- 3.3 overall (IIRC) with 3.0 in sciences (grades were 18 years old) but 4.0 in prereqs from a community college and 25P on the MCAT -- BC FM Attending at this time.

5. IntheClouds4ever

IntheClouds4ever 2+ Year Member

Sep 10, 2014
    Take the MCAT, score over 500 and apply.. my GPA was lower than yours as well. Having good LORs and personal statement should get you an II somewhere

6. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Agree 100%!

7. Asiago

Asiago

Nov 22, 2016
    Definitely would recommend getting in some volunteering and shadowing hours, but you're lookin good so far

8. Bobcat18

Bobcat18 2+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Please post this in the undergrad forum instead of cluttering medical student forum.

W19 likes this.